can my DD start kindergarden at 4 1/2?

her birthday is in Jan and my area we start school in September.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Doubt it but it depends on the school district. They have limits on when the childs birthday can fall. My sister will be 5 in October but can't start school until next year.

Contact the local school and ask them.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You'll have to check with your school division, every one has their own policies. Here they have to be 5 by Dec 31, so you'd have to wait a year to start her.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• in my school district when my son had that childhood screening thing they gave him a recommendation to the school to allow him to start early (at about 4 years 10mos... he turns 5 on Oct 30th) I am pretty certain they will only permit entrances that early when they're advanced/gifted.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why would you want to? 41/2 seems a bit young for kindergarten. Most kids in kindergarten are at the very least 5. Some may even be turning 6, in the early part of the schoolyear. .
    DJsMommy926

Answer by DJsMommy926 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• however we moved 3 months ago to a new school district with new rules. This time we had to goto a psychologist and have I.Q. testing done. She sent the results and a letter to the school district verifying he's sharp enough for the kindergarten gifted program... so we have the option to have him start this yr. if we want to. (still havent decided!) So that's how 2 school districts in Minnesota work it... you're in a tough spot, though since it's Summer... will u be able to get ahold of anyone and/or get testing done before school starts??
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• In my area you have to be 5 by Sept 30 to start. My friend is mad cause her dd will be 5 oct 15 and so she has to wait til next year. The towns around me, you have to be 5 by the first day of school. Its prob not a good idea anyway, IMO, there alot of 5 yr olds that are still not "ready". You'd be better off waiting anyway.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• in my area you have to be 5 by aug 18th and when it comes time my daughter will be 51/2 before she can start kindergarden i rather put a 41/2 yr old in preschool than kindergarden
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No probably not. But its not a good idea anyways. I am a K teacher and I can tell you that pushing them too quickly can really hurt them in the long run!

In fact, I feel so strongly about holding back for kids who's birthdays are late in summer....my son just turned 6 and is going into K this year. He went to preschool before. There are HUGE benifits to holding back....message me if you want to talk.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• benefits....sorry
    mom2twobabes

• Im my area that cant go to Kindergarten unless they are 5 or will be 5 by Sept 1. Have you looked into a PreK program for your child. 4 may be too young for Kindergarten.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009