How will baby react on a plane?

Im thinking about being a nanny/au pair away from SC and Im a little nervous how my son will be on a plane. I, myself have never even been on a plane, so we will see how I handle it too!

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Travel

• How old is your son? I took mine on a plane when he was just under a year old. The flight was short, only about 2 hours, and he was fine. I think he only threw one minor fit at the time :D Then again I took him right before he turned 3 and he actually really enjoyed it!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I flew 8 hours overnight with my daughter when she was 7 1/2 months old. The main problem I had was she would not go to sleep. She literally jumped while I held her the entire flight. She wasn't crying or screaming, but I did feel guilty about her jumping to look over the seat behind us and giggling while the other passengers were trying to sleep. When we got off the plane I was exhausted! The return flight was during the day and it was much better.

If your baby isn't congested or sick, he will probably be fine. Be sure and give him a bottle during take off and landing to help his ears adjust to the change in pressure. The pressure change can be pretty painful, but it usually isn't too bad for too long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Every baby is different so there is no way to know how he'll act on the plane until he's on it. Our daughter has been on a plane 4 times since she was 1 and she loves it. The first time she played with her toys the whole time and slept. Just make sure you have a bottle for him and a few things for distraction...take books if he likes to be read to. Best of luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• get ready for screaming due to ear popping. bring something for your baby to suck on, like a pacifier or teething ring. sucking and moving the jaw can reduce the pain of pressure changes in the ear. bring snacks (or bottles/breastmilk), and distractions like toys and books. Try to schedule your flight around nap time if you can.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009