• In the Spotlight:

Ahh My M.I.L is driving me crazy. Is this right? 3?

I honestly dont know how to handle this, I am not really a person to start a fight or anyhting like that but i am soooo mad at what she is doing behind my back. Since we have to live at her house for now because we are not good economically and i am still looking for a job. She used to be a big helper because she would take care of the baby while i took a shower or while i spent some time whith my husband, but now i cant trust her and i cant let her do this so yesturday i had to wait till the baby fell asleep to take a shower and do whatever i have to do. I dont wnat to get in a fight with her but i have to tell her and make her see that what she is doing is wrong , but she is very hard headed like most M.I.Ls must be. She says she doesnt want the baby to be hungry but she is going to get him obesse. I might be young but i am well informed and i do what is best for my baby. How can i confront her???

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So I don't understand what is it that she is doing that upsets you?

Is she over feeding your baby, is that it? I think that she sounds as if she got you guys were she wanted, controlled by her help, lots of string attachments there since you are living in her house, she is/was helping with child care. My suggestion is move out as soon as you can and don't rely on her for child care. Also if she is feeding your child in front of you and you disagree, tell her I would appreciate if you stop feeding my child now, if she doesn't listen and continue, go and get your child away from her and the food.

Good luck and the first step is communication, be firm, be clear Don't feed that to my baby, stop it now, grab your baby and that's that.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She is" hard headed like most MILs". That isn't a very nice thing to say about a woman who has let you, your baby, and her son live in her home. My son and his wife and baby lived in my home for several months for free. It costs hundreds of dollars in increased utilities. I provided free child care.

You don't say what she is doing that you think is going to make the baby obese. You don't say how old the baby is, what the baby's weight it, or what she wants to feed the baby.

If you are well informed then share the info you have with her. When my grandson started solids I researched all the latest info and was surprised to find out everything we knew about starting solids was thrown out and according to the AAP and the WHO babies over 4-6 months can eat anything, even things containing peanuts.

I was more informed than my son who is a nurse. Off course we are making food for him. It has been fun!

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• the problem is she is feeding him behind my back. REad the posts before this one before this one 1 and 2
    Cristy-1208

Answer by Cristy-1208 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Its your child not hers, u need to sit down with her and tell her what you want and that u don't want her to feed your child food, your the mother that's your job.

She is grandma not mom, you need to tell her that, and make her stop becuse it will only get worse.

I'd look up the facts on when and how much food babys are supposed to have and what kinds, and show her that.

Just remember its your child not hers and you make the decisions for your baby not her.

Put your foot down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• hello,
    i had the same issuse with M.I.L and living in her home and her feeding my daughter behind my back the best way i took care of it was to sit her down and try to tell her the truth and ask her not to do that because you allready feed the child and if she contiues to do so behind your back confront her again just tell her the truth and how you feel about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Get your hubby involved, and sit down and tell her that you appreciate that she is trying to help but you know what is best for you baby and starting solids too early isn't good! Continue to breastfeed on demand, that is what's best for your baby. Be strong and don't give in to her! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009