• In the Spotlight:

Older moms and child leashes???

I have seen a correlation where I live
all of the older moms have child leashes and I find this interesting

Like they have no control over their child so they have to put a leash on him/her like some wild animal

I think Its funny, and like I said, I only see it with the older moms, Im sure some younger moms use them butI Ive personally never seen it.

maybe its because they have no energy to deal with their child so they resort to the leash?

maybe because their too old?

I dont know what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm an older mom and I do NOT use leashes! My kids are humans with a lot of energy, not two-legged pets.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe it depends where you live, because i've only seen them used by younger moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think you're very judgmental, I think you don't understand the whole concept behind safety harnesses, I think you're probably very young, and I think you probably only have one child IF that yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm a younger mom and I use one sometimes. Especially when we were going shopping, because I need two hands to dig through my purse and I don't want him running out of the store while I'm doing that. Usually though, the leash is around my wrist while I'm holding his hand. It's not like I'm dragging him (or vice versa!)
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe they care about their children and know that it's extremely hard to shop or even be out in public while chasing a toddler who likes to run off with no idea of the dangers in the world today. And by the way, what do you consider old? Is it past 25? I have never seen this supposed trend that "old mothers" use leashes as you call them. I have seen mothers of all ages refuse to watch their childen in stores or even walking down the street. They don't put them in their carts or even watch them as they walk. I find your broad generaliztion to be rude and immature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think a child needs to learn control, but I think a leash is a good idea in certain situations. I was at the store once leaving and this lady started screaming "grab my baby" I turned around just in time to stop a 2 year old from running into the street.. Children arent going to be perfect all of the time. so leashes can be a good thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i think maybe you are the same person that wrote about the fact that older moms think they know it all.i have never seen any child with an older mom on a leash.whats your thing with the older moms?maybe you need to be put on a leash like a wild animal cause you are out of control.i really resent what you are implying here.or maybe its the fact that you just need a muzzel to put on your mouth to control it.huh???i dont know thats what i think....but i am running out of energy so i have to go so i can go out side and get my daughter who is leashed up.
    Anonymous

• I see no evidence or correlation between mothers age and the use of leashes. It is a personal choice and I find your suggestion that older moms can't keep up with their young a little bit ignorant.

bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am 28 and I've used one. I was 24 when DD was born. Does that make me old?

When I was alone, in an airport, with a 2 year old and a 7 month old with a cartload of stuff, including two carseats, and an 8 hour delay (which lead to us taking off under a tornado warning). I definitely used it.

I've seen both older (40's) and younger (16) mom's use them and everywhere in between.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm a young mom (23) and I use one. Not to treat my child as a "wild anilmal" but because he is 2 and can be easily lost in a crowd. If we go somewhere that there are a lot of people and he insists on walking by himself than I use it so that he doesn't get caught up in the crowd. I'm paranoid that something will happen to him so i try to take every precaution I can to protect him. Now the harnesses and wrist leashes still aren't fool proof. You still have to keep a good eye on them or they could slip out and wander away... Again that's my paranoia. DS doesn't mind them and we have only used it about 4 times (we try to avoid crazy crowded areas) but people can think what they like about them it just makes me feel better than just letting him walk without something to ease my mind that he's safe
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009