i see women with these headpieces on that cover part of their hair. its sort of like a scarf, but it has something hard curved in it to. what is it called? do they wear them for religious reasons or is it a cultural thing?

most of these women seem like they might be Russian or from the Ukraine or something. and they are usually wearing dresses or skirts. im sorry if im wrong, i am just ignorant i guess. and am curious. And I know the two are different, but like I said I just don't know.
i don't know what they are called and i was looking for a picture to post but wasn't having any luck. Just please educate me on this. Many of them speak another language too.
should I put this in religion & beliefs? beauty & style? just for fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Religion is part of their culture so it's a little of both
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• ok yea it can be.. but some people from that area might not follow their religion, or continue with the culture.
    so do you know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sorry, I don;t know what you are talking about so I can't be of much help.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm anon :23-it is more religious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OK well then what religion? and is it mostly if they are from a certain area of the world and practice that religion?
    years ago when i first saw them i thought maybe it was Amish. but then i don't know Mennonite or something? i really don't know but want to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It's christian if you read in the Bible it says a praying wife should cover her head, it's a symbole that she is married and so the angels know that she is. Most women that move here from Russia and Ukraine for religious freedom and most of them always pray so that is why they wear them and as from other countries I don't know why they wear them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Mennonites and Amish do not wear scarfs on their heads. The women wear bonnetts and the men wear black hats, So...I don't know where you got that lol.
    Anonymous

• If, it thats important to you for whatever reason,go to the library and a sure,or go to Biblegatway on the internet. But, I'm quite sure they cover their heads as part as their religous, I also believe this may fall in the Muslim Faith .What religion are you.
    Anonymous

• no they are not Muslims.. i know this.
    anon:39 might be the closest to the correct answer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OP here... it's been a long time since and I haven't been able to talk to anyone. but my sister who is very interested in the Mennonite community thinks/says they are Russian Mennonites. soooo......
    that's all i have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009