OMG why don't some people take care of their childrens teeth?

I was at the grocery store today and there was this little boy(about 12) who was practically staring me down. I smiled at him, and he smiled back. HOLY CRAP! His teeth were AWFUL! They were glowing YELLOW and ORANGE.. He was also in need of braces very very badly. His teeth looked like those fake 'bubba teeth'. I felt so bad for this kid cause obviously his parents didnt teach him to care for his teeth or take the time to take him to a dentist. THEN his older brother around 15y/o caught my eye. JEEZ! this boy had rotten teeth. at FIFTEEN! they were like black stumps. Really I want to know how people would justify this? My Mom got a tooth infection once and it spread she almost died. I can imagine how these kids health is suffering. How can a parent be so neglectful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Health

• Some people can't afford dental care! Simple as that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Surely your childs health is more important than another bill. to PP I cant afford dental care but im willing to lose out on somethings to pay for my kids to be healthy. Besides I know they have low income Dentists. My Husband used to go to one. They gave him 40% off of his bill. No I dont think thats an excuse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• MMMMhmmm id sell my car and ride the damn bus for my kids to be healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Do you live in Maine???
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 3:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It's funny a lot of people cant afford to go to the dentist but they can afford a pack of cigarrettes.

If you can't afford to go to the dentist which a lot of us can't but you can atleast afford a toothbrush and some floss
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Some people can't afford a dentist but it wouldn't be so bad for those boys if someone could explain about brushing their teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Some parents really don't give a crap enough about teaching their children about floss and mouthwash and how to properly brush, they think that when their baby teeth fall out then they will teach them how to take care of the permanent teeth. But you can't teach lazy children how to do something if they don't see the meaning in it. My 4 year old brushes twice a day, and loves it when I give him floss.. He doesn't seem to mind the mouthwash either.. Some parents just don't care. I went to TX to visit recently and I met a friends daughter that was 2 or 3 or something like that, ALL 4 top front teeth had rotted out to black stumps, poor child, she could be beautiful but there's just something wrong there.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 4:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• you only saw 2 minutes of these kids life from the outside. you don't know that family's situation. yes you can be poor and make too much for medicare. dental care my not be efficient. you are talking about things now but when you are dirt poor, and each kid needs about 10K of dental work done, what do you have to sell? how do you sacrifice something when you have nothing? food and rinks stain teeth so you never know if it's neglect. as i said you don't know their story unless you know them personally. stop passing so much judgement because i guarantee you there is someone somewhere asking some question about something you did or didn't do
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I agree with ssnelson26.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 7:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i am a case of that. 24 with dentures. its bad parenting. its not just not having money for he dentist...these parents refuse to teach thier kids to take good care of thier teeth. its sad, disgusting and painful.
    treefroggreen

Answer by treefroggreen at 7:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009