sleep problems

lately my little man who is a month old in the 10th has seemed to be very cranky. he is awake a lot of the day and i cant seem to get him down to nap for more than an hour os so. ive read that newborns need 20 + hours of sleep a day and i dont think he is getting enough. he lso has to rocked or nursed to sleep. if i lay him down when he is not sound asleep he crys. and he wont take a paci, how can i get my little guy to brek these bad habits.

mrsmurders

Asked by mrsmurders at 3:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are no bad habits here. This is ALL NORMAL.

Even CIO advocates say NOT to do it before SIX MONTHS.

Relax and keep doing EXACTLY what you've been doing. It WILL NOT create bad habits. Picking one's nose is a bad habit. Farting in public is a bad habit. But all the stuff to do with sleep? No bad habits involved there. Babies learn to sleep more as they're ready to.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• as far as napping during the day...even a newborn knows how much sleep he needs...dont go by statistics...as far as needing to be held...as long as he is fed, dry, and warm...let him cry...if you keep picking him up every time he cries he will never get to sleep any other way...even when hes older...i had to have my husband MAKE me leave my daughter alone...she would peep and i would go running...i hated him at first for it...but realised later he saved us alot of headache...basically let him cry...in fifteen minutes if he is still crying go check on him...soothe him but dont pick him up...if half an hour after that he is STILL crying go ahead and pick him up...but only for a few min...rinse and repeat...it took about three horrible days and nights...but after that our daughter slept beautifully!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The not getting enough sleep is probably compounding the issue...its a cycle...they don't get enough sleep, then it is harder to get them to sleep which makes the issue worse, etc. Try putting him down in a quiet, dark room. I taped construction paper to the window in my daughter's room to block out the light. A noisy fan or noise machine might help too (it will drowned out noise in the rest of the house and serve as a signal to baby to go to sleep). A luke warm bath is always good right before bed...it lowers baby's body temperature and sends a signal to his/her brain to go to sleep. Also - burping is a big issue beginning around this age. Well, burping and gas. Make sure baby is burped well after a feeding...otherwise, the bubble might wake him back up. A little gripe water does wonders for gassy tummies and helps get the burps out too. Other than that, just be consistent...baby will catch on. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• at a month old these are not habits...my DD is almost a year and I rock her to sleep..that is what they need at that age....enjoy it it goes by way too fast....newborns need to eat every couple hours. he might have a gas bubble. try putting him over your knees on his tummy and pat his back and bounce him....don't expect any "habits" to form for a long time....he needs to feel the comfort and security of mama....babies will sleep when they want/need...don't time it....he may ahve a messed up sleep schedule for a while, he will adjust. good luck and congrats.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• oh btw...don't listen to idiots who tell you to leave him to cry, they DO NOT know any different at this age or until after a year old for that matter.....please comfort him and he will adjust.....they just use it as an excuse to not be inconvenienced.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• and in reponse to blueeyedgrl2377...babies need a lot more than to be fed and dry! good grief.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• thanks for the answer but i could never listen to my baby cry for a whole half an hour before i picked him up! i would be worried sick thet he would hyper ventalite him self or somthing. he gets so mad he turns him self blue sometimes from screaming so dang loud!
    mrsmurders

Answer by mrsmurders at 3:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I certainly will not still be rocking a 1 year old to sleep! It is important for babies to develop good sleeping habits and to teach them how to fall asleep on their own, but... I agree that 1 month is early to let a baby CIO. He is not developing habits this early so I wouldn't worry about that. He could be overtired and/or overstimulated (do you have the TV on, talk too loudly?). MY DD used to act like a maniac the first 2mos. at night. We didn't realize the TV was bothering her and we were keeping her up too late. Start a routine and stick to it. He will adapt, but you have to be consistent. Once he gets to 4-6 mos. then you can start teaching him to fall asleep on his own. I wouldn't worry about it before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• **I'm sorry, but I certainly will not still be rocking a 1 year old to sleep!**

Thanks for your concern ANON...but I enjoy reading and spending time rocking her after her bath. Its very enjoyable to me and her and she is a very happy baby and DOES fall asleep on her own very well, but if she needs me I am there for her......so why don't you just worry about yourself and your babies K? alrighty then :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• im going through the same thing with 1 month old baby. i figure that all he wants is my attention as long as he is fed, diaper change burped, and you know there is nothing wrong with him sit him down on swing or something and let him cry. keep him on a feeding schedule so you will know when to feed him its going to take like around 2-3 days of him crying in order for the baby to know hes not going to get your attention. ( babies need to cry 4 to 6 hours a day ) my babies takes 4 oz of formula i put about 2 oz of chamomille and 2 oz water in his formula at night and he sleeps just find !!!! another thing that helps me is reading books theres this book call "caring for your baby and young child birth to age 5" they sell it at publix. is a really helpfull.
    keylin

Answer by keylin at 12:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2009