Big sis helping little sis in public bathroom

OK, I don't have anybody I know that has dealt with this. When my hubby takes our daughters out in public and I am not there my 6 year old takes our 3 year old into the bathroom and helps her use the potty and wash her hands. My hubby stands outside the door and will holler in to check on them if they are taking to long. Does anyone else have their kids do this? Maybe moms with boys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is a BIG problem for single moms with boys. It is easier now that some places have family bathrooms.

You just have to do your best in the given situation. My boys were also 3 years apart.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• im a mom and i have my 11yo and 6yo do this...only because i am in a mart cart and getting up and down hurts sometimes...plus its a good way to give some trust to my kids...i park right outside the door though and if i hear one yelling, then i have no choice and i will get up...
    my husband told me once when our oldest was a newborn and needed a diaper change he got up and was heading for the mens room and some strange older lady stopped him asked him if he wanted her to take her into the womans bathroom and do it for him...smart man said no thanks ive got it...i truly think the woman was just trying to be helpful cause my husband probably looked clueless...but im glad he used his head....talk about scary!
    I think your husband is doing the right thing though....the oldest is old enough to understand strangers and such...and hes guarding the door...perfectly fine!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Not my case but I have seeing it and I don't see any problem with it. There are usually other moms in the bathroom who know that there is a dad waiting for the children outside and most moms usually are very kind and supportive of the kids and their dads.

If I leave before the kids are out I make it a point to tell the dads waiting outside if there are still other adults in the bathroom and that the kids seem to be doing okay on their own. Dads usually appreciate the feedback because I understand that it must be difficult to trust your kids to go potty in a room full of strangers but the alternative to having them use the boys room is more frightening.

Also if you train the older child about strangers and inappropriate touching, if you time few minutes so they are in and out, I think is okay. Also, most moms when we see kids alone we let them go first to minimize the time they are away form dad when mom is not around.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My ex has to do this because we have 3 daughters. I'm not really comfortable with the idea personally because some pedophile could be waiting in the bathroom and take advantage of them while they're in there. I know that's a little extreme but I worry about things like that.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well i did this with my younger siblings. difference is we're 9 and 12 years apart. so it was a lot easier. but i'll be honest i'd rather take my 4 or even 5 yr old son into the womens bathroom than letting them go alone. but if older sib knows get in do your business get out, i think you're good to go. sounds like your dd is a smart girl. good to know dad is waitin outside too.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I used to make sure mine went to the bathroom before they left the house but if that's not an option you do what you have to do even if it's have a six yr old take care of her sister.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• p.s. just curious, why can't he take her in the stall in the men's room if she's only 3?

Answer by admckenzie at 5:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009