Going or not going Organic?

All right I work with Produce MOST people just buy the organic carrots and the fruit, packaged greens but bypass the fresh greens.

So I was wondering would you go organic despite study's saying it is no different then other non organic-Parasites etc etc or would you pay the extra dollar that is Organic? Or stick with what you've been eating before the organic trend?

leicthweis8003

Asked by leicthweis8003 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Nah, I don't bother with organic, I just wash my produce well and save my money. I get most of my beef from my dad who raises cattle, so I know what's gone into them. His neighbor raises organic beef and I have had some of it and it was fantastic, but that's just because he grain finishes his beef as opposed to Dad's that are just grass and hay fed.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You can find lists of foods that are more important to go organic.

My son works in an upscale healthier food stoor in the meat dept. We eat meat that is healthier - no antibiotics, no other stuff (I can't think right now), and sometimes fed organic. The meat goes on great sale so we don't pay much more. We never ate hamburger anyway. Now I feel wierd if I am eating meat I know is regular meat.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You misunderstood the results of the study. The conclusion was that there was not a significant nutritional difference between the organic and non-organic foods tested. The study left out some incredibly important information: who funded the study, what is the impact of pesticides on humans, especially children,; what is the impace of pesticides on the planet. I follow the guide published by the Environmental Working Group, which lists the produce most contaminated by pesticides. www.ewg.org

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• food is food I've been normal produce and beef all my life why cahnge now because everyone else wants to be new age? I'm not going to jump on a bandwagon just because everyone is. I'd rather save money because those extra dollars for organic is money taking out of my childs mouth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We're about as organic as you can get - planted a garden, use coffee grounds to fertilize our tomatoes, and use dish soap and water as a pesticide. meat is a different story, we're trying to see if our township will let us put in a chicken coup.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• oh, and for my birthday dh is making me a compost barrel as well as a rainwater barrel watering system (but only because our water bill is outrageous for some reason :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well i buy fresh fruit twice a week at the swapmeet they sell below wholesale and they pick them fresh everyday no chemicals or anything.I have gotten a case of strawberries for $2.00,bannanas a case for $4.00 and if you wait for the end of the day where they have to get rid of the produce it is dicounted very cheap.I got a case of 48 grapes for $1.00 so I made grape juice.I don't buy organic that much as before.I buy all vegtables and fruits organic and teas,jams,peanut butter and other stuff.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 9:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Penn and Teller just did an episode on this. No I don't worry about organic. Its just not worth it to me. I use miracle grow, but I do compost.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 9:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009