Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i see women with these headpieces on that cover part of their hair. its sort of like a scarf, but it has something hard curved in it to. what is it called? do they wear them for religious reasons or is it a cultural thing? PIOC

most of these women seem like they might be Russian or from the Ukraine or something. and they are usually wearing dresses or skirts. im sorry if im wrong, i am just ignorant i guess. and am curious. And I know the two are different, but like I said I just don't know.
i don't know what they are called and i was looking for a picture to post but wasn't having any luck. Just please educate me on this. Many of them speak another language too.
should I put this in religion & beliefs? beauty & style? just for fun?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Answers (19)
  • I maybe wrong on this but I think it's called a Hijab. It is worn by Muslim women.


    Answer by teamquinn at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • no not the muslim one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • any of these look like what your talking about?

    Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • uh no not really
    its like a scarf with the wood thing going over the middle/top of the head and then the scarf holds/covers the hair underneath. but the hair in front is always showing and usually styled

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • Thats interesting, now I am curious too as to what culture it is and what the headpiece is called.

    Answer by pnwmom at 4:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • i've also been posting this in beauty & style, and just for fun because i am really curious. and want to find out!
    the scarf looks like it might be attached to a head band. its driving me nuts because i cant find a picture online.
    and the picture i draw is from memory and doesn't quite do it justice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • LOL now I'm curious

    Answer by AmmuJSE at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • are the men around the women usually unshaven? like they have beards, but they are trimmed? do their dresses usually look homemade? we have a lot of ppl who dress like that here but i have no idea what religion or culture they are.

    Answer by okmanders at 5:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • where do you live? that might be able to give us a better hint.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

  • anon, i dunno if you're talking to me or the OP, but i use to see women dressed like that while i lived in Alaska. so maybe it has something to do with the Russian Orthodox Church?

    Answer by okmanders at 5:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.