• In the Spotlight:

34wks and just found out I'm RH neg.

okay so I'm 34wks pregnant and I just got my blood work done in July (I didn't have a group for my med.) So they are putting me on the shot for mother with RH neg.
But my question is, could there be harm done that was over looked?
(I have had 4 sets of u/s b/c I have a high risk pregnancy, but every u/s they never said anything was wrong with my baby- that they can see or told me-). And what could happen,since this is my first pregnancy, to my baby since I'm so far along and this wasn't detected until recently?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is a good thing that they found out now! Everything should be ok now that they know and can give you and the baby the treatment you need! I am RH negative and all 4 of my babys came out fine! They gave me some shot before the baby was born!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If there was anything wrong the blood test they did would have picked it up.

If a mother is Rh- and her baby is Rh+ the mother makes Rh antibodies in her blood. This almost always only happens after birth. Before they developed the Rhogam shot Rh- mothers would develop the Rh antibodies after the birth of their first Rh+ baby. The first baby would be fine. The next Rh+ baby would be attacked by her Rh antibodies crossing into the baby's blood and attaching themselves to the Rh. That baby would have it's blood exchanged at birth and may have survived. The third baby probably wouldn't survive to come to term.

Rhogam is one of the great drug inventions! They used to give just one shot after birth. Now they give one during pregnancy, one after amniocentisis, miscarriages, and at other times the mother's and baby's blood might mix.

When they test the mother for Rh they test to see if she has antibodies already.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am RH neg also i am gonna have my 4th kid and u have to get a RhoGAM shot because i the baby's blood mixes with yours then it acts as if it is a foreign substance and it will get rid of the baby. I have to get the shot before i am 7mths. But the shot will not hurt u or the baby it will help the both of u then when the baby is born they will test the baby's blood and if it is Rh poss u will get a another one before u leave the hospital . If it is neg then u will not get another one till your next pregnancy if u have more. I will do more harm if u don't get it.
    Butler_Family

Answer by Butler_Family at 3:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Being Rh-negative is neither good nor bad, but it can become a serious issue if you’re pregnant by or planning to have a child with a man who is Rh-positive. If you're Rh-negative and carrying a baby who is Rh-positive (like the baby’s father), your baby may be at risk for a serious disease. When your immune system (which fights off invaders to keep you healthy) is exposed to your baby’s Rh-positive blood, it will begin producing antibodies that are sensitized(designed specifically) to destroy these “foreign” blood cells.

If this is your first pregnancy, chances are everything will be fine. These sensitized antibodies are typically not dangerous until subsequent pregnancies, when they've had time to grow in strength and number. However, all subsequent pregnancies would be at great risk. That is why you must act now to prevent your immune system from being exposed to Rh-positive blood.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well my baby is positive and my husband is + as well
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well I'm RH neg. also and I got my shot at 28 weeks, my doctor said that was the best time to have it. But I dont think you're to off the mark that its dangerous.
    BestTeenMommy

Answer by BestTeenMommy at 2:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• not tht much harm but there mite be a lil just like athma heart reat those r the 2 things tht mite happen tho but i will pray no harm
    naomi101

Answer by naomi101 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009