bipolor teens

I have a 16 yr old that has bipolor .We have just found this out.Im looking for other moms that are going threw this .I need info on this subj....

aprilinlufkin

Asked by aprilinlufkin at 3:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You can look up groups on here and there is a group for bi polar. I hope you can find it by doing a search and these moms can help you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I have a son that is 21 that is bipolar. He was 11 when he was diagnosed. He is very rapid cycling and is mostly manic. He has had been on good medications and hasn't had any problems with the law, suicide attempts, or hospitalizations that are so common for teens with bipoar disorder. We live in Arizona and he is classified as Severly Mentally Ill and he gets all his care and meds free from the state. Such a good idea. You don't want your worst mentally ill people running around without meds. You can email me.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree, find a group on CM and get the support and information you need

Answer by admckenzie at 4:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You and her father need to give her all the emotional stability that you possibly can. Bi means two; polar means opposite directions. So basically what is happening to her is that she is constantly being pulled in two directions. I would guess that she is probably a very sensitive child and that she tends to feel things very deeply. I would also guess that she is one who tends to keep her feelings stuffed inside rather than freely expressing her emotions. Encourage her to express what she is feeling, being careful not to allow her to express her emotions in an unacceptable way. If she is angry, let her say that she is angry, but don't tolerate her to throw things. Hug her often, if she will allow it. Show her as much personal attention as you possibly can. Spend some one-on-one time with her, doing things that she really enjoys. Encourage her to be her own person rather than who she thinks others want her to be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Get her a good psychiatrist and counselor that will help regulate meds (which are absoultely needed for Bipolar) and counseling to help her learn to control her disorder, find coping skills to help control her emotions. Be patient and understanding. Do NOT make her feel bad for having a disorder that is out of her control. Bipolar is not something to be lax about. It is, at times, hard to control. Learn what triggers her emotions and watch for signs that she is anxious or agitated and get her away from the situation quickly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2009