How do you get a baby to start eating off a spoon?

I have a 4 month old Dr. said he should start eating baby cereal with a spoon. He doesn't understand and wants to suck still. It's a mess and I don't think he even gets anything.

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 4:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is a rather difficult hing to do but a necessary one. You could try feeding the baby in the mouth until you think he got enough and then leave the spoon and food for him to experiment and to explore the food, and the spoon.

Be prepared that it will be a royal mess for months, food will be flying objects and used as toy or a plate as a hat. I feed my child in the mouth for too long and now it translated into lack of motor skills, it took him longer to be able to grab a crayon, his movements are clumsy compare to those of his peers. Give your child every opportunity to do it by himself and it will pay off down the road. I wish somebody would had explained me the importance of self feeding earlier.

If you wait thinking that when he is older it will be easier for him to do it, it won't happen, children learn by doing at this age, so take a deep breath and let him practice and practice some more.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• He's still VERY young to even start solids....if it's for medical reasons ONLY, then you can try putting it on the end of your finger and let him suck it off, then gradually try a spoon, but 4 months is really young for any thing other than BM or formula.....if it's just to fill him up, then it's not a good idea. It can increase their risk of diabetes when they get older by feeding unnecessary carbs to a baby that young...maybe wait til around 6 months or so...there's no rush....there's no nutritional value to rice cereal and it can be very constipating...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I started my daughter also with 4 months on cereal.
    Of course, the first few feedings the baby will not really eat they have to still figure out how the spoon feeding works. Just be patient and try feeding your baby, he will get it and will open his mouth!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I just held the spoon at an angle and she sucked it off, but keep in mind my child loves to eat... so anyway she could get it worked just fine for her.
    mariaria

Answer by mariaria at 4:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Wait until your baby is 6 months old. Babies don't need to eat baby cereal. It is highly processed and high in carbohydrates. Even now you can start with banana, sweet potatoe, or avocado.

For more info on starting solids go to www.kellylmom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• keep trying, he may not be ready for it, but you can keep trying and eventually he'll understand. GL!
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Just sit him down on the high chair place the tray and serve very little in a small bowl and show him with the spoon how to scoop it up, he is not going to get it right away he will probably play as playing the drums or wear the bowl on his head that is why I say serve him very little like a spoon fool that way you won't have that much of a mess to clean up, eventually he will get it. I think at 8 to 9 months should do this 4 months is still too young but then again other babies are more advance than others GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it unless its for reflux or something...I started at 4 months but she got it right away. Opened her mouth and ate it happily.
    Just wait afew weeks and try again. No biggie :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009