i see women with these headpieces on that cover part of their hair. its sort of like a scarf, but it has something hard curved in it to. what is it called? do they wear them for religious reasons or is it a cultural thing? PIOC

most of these women seem like they might be Russian or from the Ukraine or something. and they are usually wearing dresses or skirts. im sorry if im wrong, i am just ignorant i guess. and am curious. And I know the two are different, but like I said I just don't know.
i don't know what they are called and i was looking for a picture to post but wasn't having any luck. Just please educate me on this. Many of them speak another language too.
should I put this in religion & beliefs? beauty & style? just for fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I don't know specifically what your talking about but I do know that many religious groups do wear head coverings.  I don't think there is anything wrong with asking.  How else are you suppose to know?

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think I know what you mean, not a hijab like Muslim women wear, but more of a head scarf, but not like a bandana right? I don't know what it's called, but I do think it must be tied to their religious or cultural beliefs. We have a large Hutterite population around here and all the women (not girls, just the women) wear a head scarf and dresses. All the females wear dresses, never pants. I really don't know a lot about them or what beliefs they hold.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What color are they? Material?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• A mantilla?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• A mantilla?
    nope
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What color are they? Material?
    they are very stylish and pretty, all different designs, whatever the woman picks, its almost like an accessory. maybe silk, or something else similar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• ....Hutterite...
    i googled that and the scarves are tied under the chin and not as fashionable as the ones i have seen, the ones i see may have a tie or something at the nape of the neck, or more like a headband. but it might be from the Hutterite community. i don't think i have ever seen or heard this term before
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hutterer-Crystal_Schule1.jpg
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• close, but not quite. maybe i should just chalk it up to that. but i don't think it is. it just doesn't look the same. but it close
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Any of these? This is driving me nuts lol

http://www.coveryourhair.com/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009