Does my daughter have her period?

she has brown stuff in her underwear and it isnt poop because it dosent smell like poop. with my oldest and me i never had brown. always faint red at the begining. could she have started her period?

momyof3girls

Asked by momyof3girls at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes now as an adult my period is SUPER dark, then after a day or two turns more normal shade. So probably yes
    vanessa432

Answer by vanessa432 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When I started my period for the very first time it was a dark brown. So yes your daughter is growing up. Goodluck
    Thaifalung20

Answer by Thaifalung20 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I was very young when i started my period, it sounds just like me, i screamed when i got in the shower thinking i was dying or something. It does sound like it, so from one who was an early bloomer, give her all the support she needs, it was a testing time with the kids at school and trying to keep it to myself. You may want to speak to the school nurse or a favorite teacher and so if she has any problems she doesnt need to feel embarrassed.
    Hope that helps some, and good luck to both of you. x
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• and how can i tell if shes just not wiping and thats the case
    momyof3girls

Answer by momyof3girls at 4:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Both my girls started with a brown discharge. the next day it was more like blood. I still have that sometimes at the end of my cycle. I would say, yes your daughter got her period. It may only last a day or so and not come back for months. That is what happened to my youngest. She got it in july and then not again till January.
    Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• In response to the question, "how can i tell if she's just not wiping and thats the case"
    You said it didnt smell, and irrespective of how old or young or clean or not you are, you would smell something if it was poop. Like Wallmom1 said, its really sporadic at first, i dont know if you can remember back to your experience, but like when you start to not get them anymore, the hormones are all over the place, and it could be a good few months until you see any other signs. If it is really concerning you, im sure your doctor can put your mind at rest hun. I feel for you, but its just natural, dont worry about it,
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• blood turns brown when it dries. I'd say she has had her period or is spotting and maybe getting ready to get it soon. did you ask her about it?
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It sounds very much like it could be her period, and if it is, you will know soon enough. Sometimes in the beginning it can seem unclear, but obviously it will become more definitive in time. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about....just make sure she is aware of what is going on and be patient.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes it sounds like it - either way, best to be prepared and make sure she has all the info and supplies she needs! Pantyliners at first and also recommend the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You." Be there for her, if you are confused and anxious that is not going to help her. Good Luck!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009