our daughter is 2 and 4 months old or 28 months so not even 2and a half

help
she healthy now but Had ear infections her whole first year of life starting at 3 months, two different set of tunes were inserted the second one worked. she had clear Mri and clear chromosomal test
she had delays. she stood at 11 Months she cruised for long time she spoke and then stopped and now is up to 25 words she understands ever thing and returns what you ask for she is walking. started very late around 18 mo only steps no more than 3 now at 26 months walking all over . we did have her in 0T pt and speech for a year, her improvement is incredible. my question is the head of early steps in our town says she's happy and healthy but Will chart her progress guesses she ll have some learning problems but want to make sure she is not mildly mentally retarded . what has to be present to evaluate mental retardation,? anyone can help me? thanks . i worry she ;s alert to us she RSV virus @3 months
thnaks

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 4:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would guess that the reason she was a bit later when starting to walk is because of the ear infections. She would have had little to no control over her balance because her equilibrium would have been effected by the infections.

I had 4 ear infections a year starting from when I was really little and eventually I stopped getting them in my 20's.

I didn't have any mental disabilities because of them.
    It might take her a little bit to catch up to the rest of the kids but her speech and walking abilities were delayed because of her ear problems. Not her brain itself.

Give her some time to catch up and take her for regular check ups.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Mental retardation means low IQ, below 75.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009