my son is almost 5 yrs old and is very outgoing yet kids run from him . I worry that he won't have friends or that he will be bullied

my son gets excited about seeing other kids and will run up and say "hi I'm Dylan, Whats your name"?
Sounds great but kids run from him and I don't get it. It also hurts me to see him so sad. He knows he's being nice and friendly and yet nobody will play with him. I hope this isn't a sign that he will get left out in school.
What can I do to make sure his feelings aren't so hurt?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is so cute..I wish my kids were like that it just shows he has very good manners while other might know but are too shy. Maybe you can talk to him to tone it down abit start from there like if he sees children to just kind of blend in and find out what happens maybe one of them will start talking to him and then they go from there :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe you could get involved with a group of moms that have kids your son's age. He would have kids to play with and you would have friends and you may have similar interests and values. When your son gets in school you might find one thing to bet him involved in with other kids - a sport or something.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 4:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• He will be in Pre-k this year and it will be the chance to make some friends. in a school setting where the kids have to interact. Maybe then they will see him as a good kid, not a freak for being friendly, lol
    My oldest was bullied terriably and I just worry about it happening again
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My dd was very social like your ds. Before she went to school she would go up to kids at the park and introduce herself, try to play and yep...they would run away. It broke my heart too. She was fine in Kindergarten. She was very well liked because she was so outgoing. Dont worry, he will be fine in school :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• awww! he sounds so sweet! I was like that as a kiddo too. My mom said she couldn't bear to take me to the grocery store because I'd run up and hug other kids, or try to hold their hands. I just wanted a fried so badly! I think your son will be ok. Just watch out for him trying to do anything to impress others. I wanted a friend so badly that I would do anything so that someone would like me. It gave me some self esteem issues later in life. However, I think the other mamas are right. If you just gently encourage him, or suggest others ways for him to approach and get to know kids, it will be fine. I don't understand why children would run from him, he sounds like a doll!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• He does sound like a sweet little guy. Teach him that some kids are shy and want to get to know other kids gradually. He should approach other kids more gently and pay attention to what they are playing and then tell each other their names.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009