• In the Spotlight:

if you are hypoglycemic..could you please tell me some meal plans/snack ideas that work for you?

i recently found out that i'm hypoglycemic and i'm having trouble figuring out what i can and can't eat..like how much is to much carbs, i know i'm not supposed to have them or sugar..but i've been reading the list of what is in stuff and it's really hard to find things that have no or next to no carbs..so i'm just needing some help on what i should look for!

ari_baby

Asked by ari_baby at 4:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Health

• what works for me is eating lighter meals (even with carbs and sugar but limited), and eating more frequently, I have to eat every 3 hours, not full meals every time, only 3 meals a day, 2 snacks, and always have something with you in case you feel lightheaded, eating more frequently keeps you full longer and helps you eat less per meal and even out your sugar levels
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When I was prego or nursing I had a lot of problems. Shrimp was one of my favorites. It's high in protein.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You need to avoid certain foods. White flour (choose whole grain breads), white rice (choose whole grain brown rice), no white potatoes, no refined sugar (this includes brown sugar, honey, HFCS) and anything highly processed (many cereals).

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• These foods break down into your blood quickly causing a sugar spike. Your pancreas produces insulin to regulate this sugar spike, but in a hypoglycemic person the pancreas is producing too much insulin (over taxing itself) and burning up all the sugar causing you to have a crash, will leads to tiredness, crankiness, and the mistaken belief that you are hungry. The mistaken hunger prompts you to eat again, restarting the whole nasty cycle and causing weight gain.

Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of good carbs. This is one of my favorite foods.

What you need to look for are whole grains, unrefined and not heavily processed foods. You need to eat foods that are low on the glycemic index to keep your sugar levels regulated. http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html

DawnA72

• whole grain tortillas
    beans
    brown rice
    lentils
    tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Wow. Who told you no carbs? I was told to eat carbs. Carbs break down into sugar which is what your body needs since you produce too much insulin. I just eat my 3 major meals a day (usually cereal or poptarts for breakfast, something like a sandwich for lunch and a meat dish for dinner). I will then snack during the day on usually pretzels (at least as of late).

And I know someone else said not to eat white potatoes, white flour, refined sugar or anything too processed. Well I have always eaten that stuff. It works for me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You need to eat complex carbohydrates:
    Complex carbs (carbohydrate) foods are basically those in wholegrain form such as wholegrain breads, oats, muesli and brown rice. Complex carbs are broken down into glucose more slowly than simple carbohydrates and thus provide a gradual steady stream of energy throughout the day.

White potatoes, white flour, white sugar all are simple carbohydrates which means all the sugar enters the blood stream at the same time, and quickly, rather than gradually over time. This causes a blood sugar spike, forcing the pancreas to produce more insulin to regulate it. In a hypoglycemic person the pancreas over produces insulin, thus burning up all the sugar and making you have a crash (head ache, hunger, grumpy) and feel the need to eat again to get back up to the proper sugar level.

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Purpleducky, do an experiment. Cut out all that crap for a week and tell me how you feel. The very first week I eliminated all those items I felt better. No foggy head. I woke up quicker and more easily. I had more energy throughout the day. I felt like a new person! And I lost weight too. I had no idea that they way I felt (groggy and tired) wasn't how everyone felt. I didn't know that I could feel better and have more energy.
    DawnA72