Breastmilk to Cow's Milk

I'm trying to wean my DD and she hates cow's milk. I have heard of 2 tricks, 1 to water it down then slowly water less and less or, put 1 tsp. of sugar or splenda to make is sweet like breastmilk. Which one of these would you try or do you have any other tricks?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 5:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whatever you do dont put any sugar substitute in there. its sooo bad for you.
    you might be able to try either soy milk, or goats milk too. but honestly i hated cows milk since i was about a year old, when it was introduced to me too. still dont like it unless its chocolate and majorly chocolate lol
    if you cant get her to drink it at all, just make sure she's getting enough calcium though food/vitamins. i loved tums....if she eats one of those a day its good. my mom asked the dr if it would hurt me cuz i ate em and he said as long as i wasnt eating more than 2 a day. but ask dr just in case you're worried about that.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'll give you a third option.

Don't sweat it. She doesn't NEED cow's milk. You can still wean (drop a feeding a week till gone) and still offer the cow's milk. But water is dandy for hydration. There's nothing in cow's milk she can't get from other sources.

If you do give cow's milk, don't sweeten it. As a nation, we have drunk our way into obesity through sweetened drinks. Better to avoid that. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Soy milk isn't "healthy" either. Rice milk or almond milk is better. More expensive but better.

It's true, cow's milk is not a necessity. Any vitamins, nutrients calcium etc. that you think you need milk for can be found in copious amounts of other foods.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You can also mix it with expressed breast milk. Start with a higher amount of BM and slowly reverse the ratio.

My doctor just told me that there is no need to push cow's milk. It's more important to focus on a balanced diet. He said that one slice of American cheese is basically the same nutritionally as 5 oz of milk and that he sees more complications from too much dairy than he does from not enough (constipation, anemia, and in extreme cases obesity).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My middle two kids don't drink milk and never have. They do however, like cheeses and yogurts so I try to push those for calcium and they drink water or occasionally juice.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009