What are some essentials when moving into your first house?

My husband and I currently live with my parents. He just got a second job and I'm in the process of trying to get one (i was laid off last year and then had my daughter).

I have lived on my own before, but it was with roommates and most of our things came from family members and such. This will be the first time hubby and I will have had our own house/apartment (whichever we get) and i would like to start buying the smaller things like appliances and dishes now over the span until we move so when we do move we dont have to spend all the money at once to buy what we need.

So aside from dishes and pots and pans, what you ladies suggest are essentials?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Buy used. You can often get nicer things for a fraction of the cost. Go to yard sales, thrift stores, antique shops, ect. It can be really fun! Shop Craigslist. If you make a mistake, sell it. Sometimes you can sell for a profit.

Buy kitchen things that will last. I'm 52 and I bought my Corelle when I was 18, my Onida silverware when I was 22, and my waterless cookware when I was 22. I still use them every day 30 years later.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• pack the toilet paper first.. Check to see if your town has a second hand home store. Mine does and it has some really nice stuff. You could buy everything you need there.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think what you buy for the kitchen really comes down to how much you like to cook. I believe that a coffee maker, blender, toaster, hand mixer and microwave are all I need.

Whatever you end up getting for your kitchen, I would make sure you have it before you move. It sucks to have to spend big bucks to eat out all the time, because your kitchen isn't equipped with what you need to make anything.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• energy saver lightbulbs for inside and out. garden hoses. grass seed and welcome mats. towels and washcloths. household cleaners and cleansers, grease removers. a tool box and kit. paint brushes, rollers. a roll pan, drop cloths, spackle and caulk. sandpaper and a spackle knife. cordless power tools especially a drill. a laser level if you can afford one. latex paint remover. WD-40 and some locktite. a preboxed set of nails, screws and picture hanging necessities. storage boxes. weatherstripping if you live in cold climates. a good quality hammer. shelf liners. an extra set of sheets in twin size with an extra pillow for company in case someone needs to stay on the couch. a cooler. ok, cant think of anything else right now.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• towels, dishtowels, pot holder, can opener, silverware, at least one skillet, one saucepan, and a deep pot (dutch oven) a cookie sheet and 9x13 pan with sides higher than one inch.Colander,plates,bowls,cups glasses. Serving spoons, spatulas. Sheets, blankets, pillows, bed, alarm clock, Toilet paper, napkins or papertowels if you uses them. Coffe pot is you do coffee, a microwave is terrific but not a must have. Measuring cups, measuring spoons. A table and chairs..or chairs for a sit at bar. Shower curtain . Laundry soap, dryer sheets, bath soap, shampoo/conditioner, toilet cleaner, mop, broom and dustpan..vacuum if there is carpet. Kitchen cleaners is a real personal thing. I always have pine-sol or fabuloso on hand, furniture polish, windex )r vinegar and water sparay bottle, awesome to degrease with sponges, rags and SOS pads or equivalent.....theres a good start.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• So aside from dishes and pots and pans, what you ladies suggest are essentials?
    **nobody read this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If you have lots of books, the Billy bookshelves from IKEA are great. I love IKEA. It is cheap, and not so bad, and it is designed for living in smaller spaces.
    A nice sofa from Craigslist....
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I can do without a lot, and have WAY more than I need, but I could not live without my screwdriver. It has a Phillips and flat end (interchangeable). You wouldn't believe how many times I've lent it out to our neighbors as well. Be cool; own a tool.

Other than that, cleaning supplies and storage solutions. If you can find a place for everything as you move in, cleaning and staying organized are a cinch. "A place for everything and everything in it's place." This proverb has stood the test of time. Take it from me. I'm domestically handicapped, except for my cooking, and I'd be lost without my storage apparatus'.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 2:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I just wanted to add something: Spices! If you like to cook, buying a bunch of spices at once can get REALLY expensive. You can't get them TOO soon, but if you buy them gradually it's better. First check out Trader Joe's (if you have one). You can also get a decent variety at 99 cent stores. If you can get them all there, then this particular tip is useless. LOL. My vegetable peeler also gets a lot of action, as does our wine/bottle opener.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• well i guess it depends on how much you want at first lol. besides dishes and pots and pans all you really need is a fouton (it could be a couch and a bed), a tv, and some kind of table (kitchen table w/ chairs or a coffee table). but that is realllllly bare essentials lol. but that's all you need.... a place to sleep and a place to eat and no man can survive without tv lol. just cover that and then get to thinking about what you like to have. o i forgot bathtowels too.... don't forget those lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009