HOw do I get my milk supply back???

I just had my son 3 weeks ago and had been only BF. Well, last thursday I went to the hosp and got admitted for 6 days because my appendix ruptured. I was told I couldn't BF because of the antibiotics and pain med they were giving me. I pumped and dumped as much as possible and jsut found out that I actually CAN be BF. The nurses were just taking precautionary measures to be safe. Well, my milk supply is SO low now that I still cant only BF. I've been pumping like crazy now but every time I cant pump more than an ounce between both breasts...how do I get my supply back up so I can stop feeding him formula???

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 5:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call and Ask your OB, PCP or Ped.!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You can feed him off the breasts first, if u need yo you can then sub with formula, if you were pumping during the time you should still have some for lack of a better word but BF is a supply and demand the more you feed him off the breast first the more you should produce.

As far as piumping to tell you how much you are producing, I couldnt pump morethan an ounce until DS was about 7 months old, so what you are getting might not be a good indication of what your child is getting, Feed him more often.
    I know there is a herb that alot of moms use, hopefully one with answer your question with the name of it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Doctors aren't experts on breastfeeding. Lactation Consultants, breastfeeding counselors, or La Leche League Leaders are. They are the people to call.

An ounce is actually a good sign. Your baby can get much more from your breasts than a pump, even the best rental pump.

What were those nurses thinking! Women who have C-sections take antibiotics and pain meds all the time

Start breastfeeding your baby again at least 8-12 times every 24 hours. Make sure you do those night feedings even if your loved ones think it would be easier to bottle feed. You can breastfeed on one side and pump the other and switch the sides the next feeding or breastfeeding both breasts and then pump. The first way would be faster and easier.

Suppliment after breastfeeding. Use fresh milk first and as little formula as possible.

For more info go to kellymom.com

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Take your munchkin to bed and nurse. Don't worry about anything else, cleaning, laundry, and everything else can wait or someone else can do it. Only you can nurse your baby. Cuddle up in bed topless and just have the baby nurse whenever and for however long they feel inclinded too. I would also recommend getting in contact with your local Le Leche League leader. They are an amazing resource!!
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 5:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Get in bed with baby and nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse. If the demand is there the supply WIOLL follow. Put a jug of water next to the bed and drink it all down. That's the raw material for making milk. Nurse some more. Drink more water. Nurse some more.

Get the picture? Best way to boost your supply is to just put the baby to breast. Baby does the rest.

LET BABY GET MAD. That's part of the process.

Count dipes. 6-8 changes a day means baby is getting enough.

ONLY give formula if you DON'T change enough dipes, and do that via a supplemental nursing system so baby is at the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Nurse nurse nurse, ignore pumping amounts, eat some oatmeal, buy some fenugreek from GNC and take 12 pills everyday, drink 60 oz of liquid without caffiene, and pump for stimulation after nursing...count diapers if you get 6 daily perfect...a really wet one counts as 2 diapers...if you come up short use what you pumped during the day add it together and make one bottle..skin to skin makes your body make more hormones..
    1/2 oz to 2 oz total a pumping session is normal so 1 oz total is right in that range btw
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OP:
    Thanks for all your answers nad help! I was getting a bit discouraged and considered just only FF which was making me a little down on myself. I'm not sure why, but when I was told I couldn't BF, I actually teared up a bit and was a little depressed. Knowing my supply WILL come back is making me feel much better. I will deff put all the advice to use. Thanks!!!
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 6:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Keep the baby or the father suckling on your breast once you stop they start to dry up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• try this - it worked wonders for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Mothers-Milk-Tea-Bags/dp/B00028N5QG
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009