facebook question and family member?

My MIL made an account using her cats name and requested to be my friend. She did this also with myspace and used a fake name and I don't know why. She never comments or anything on there and I'm just wondering if she's just doing it to be nosey. She tells me about other peoples profiles and who's in their picture, and for me the websites are about connecting with my family and friends and talking to them especially fb. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want to add her onto my fb page under a cats name just so she can see what I write and so forth. I told my husband and he also thought it was strange. What do you guys think? Would you add or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• no not if she is trying to be sneaky about it...because she may be looking for a way to get between you two. but that is just my opinion
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 5:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• NO!!! I'd tell her that you set up your FB account for the express purpose of reconnecting with old classmates/friends you used to hang out with and co-workers, and not family--whom you can easily and readily chat with whenever. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• OP HERE: my husband doesn't have either of those accounts. He sees mine and he don't care so it's not like a big deal, and she wouldn't want to get between us b/c she's always telling me she wants more grandkids, but I'm just thinking it's weird and why not put your real first name?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe she thinks it is like CafeMom and made-up names are appropriate?

I actually use my first and middle name on Facebook, because I am not interested in finding old friends (just for keeping in touch with friends back home, we moved far away).

I would probably add her. She seems innocent enough...maybe just a little behind the times when it comes to social sites. I just got asked and excepted my MIL. Didn't really want to, but I know she won't do any harm and I don't want to cause problems in the family.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She's probably set in that old, "Oh, they'll kidnap you!" mindset. It's hard to say. I added my MIL to myspace, but removed her once I realized she was getting more and more friends that were "Male Models"... 90% of which were a different race, yet she always has hounded her 22 yr old daughter for her interest in men of color.

I wouldn't add her, ignore it, and if she asks about it, tell her you don't get on there very often or something. That was my excuse.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She COULD just be nosy, but i don't think that's the only possibility. Your MIL is older than you and maybe not as comfortable putting her real self out there on the internet. Using the cat does seem a little wierd, but maybe it's her way of putting her toes in the water before actually jumping all the way in. It's possible that she is trying to get over her internet fears (a lot of people, especially older ones, have them). I'd add her because she is family, and then I'd try to involve her by sending her messages or whatever it is you do on facebook. Try to help her become a more active facebook friend. Direct her to other people she should befriend and hope she gets caught up in it.

BTW, I'm older too, and that is why I mostly post anon. I also have a facebook account, but I don't have any idea what is going on there - it's a little chaotic and overwhelming!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had a stalker a few years ago and don't normally put my full name online anymore. I'm not being nosey. I am being safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My dad and his girlfriend made a facebook account just so they could look at the photos of my boys. It is easier than email pictures to them and they can look at more pictures because I upload a lot. They live 2000 miles from me. They used their dogs names because my mom has a facebook and he does not want her to know and bug him. She is bitter and it could cause problems.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 6:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't use my real name on anything...not even my email...lol maybe there is someone that she doesnt want to look her up...its understandable. I really dont think there is anything to worry about, especially if as you say, you have nothing to hide. Add her...it can't be all that bad, and if she starts getting weird, delete her from your page, and if she asks say that there was a glitch and it deleted some of your friends...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No she sounds like she is being a nose bag. That is sneaky and not right and I would tell her that also. But that's me and I can be a very outspoken kind of person. She really sounds like she wants to start DRAMA and that's not my cup of tea....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009