Constipation

Ok my son has had constipation issues literally since birth. He wouldn't by himself and was always straining to get any little bit out. They did a test at 6 weeks old to make sure his rectum works fine and it does but he's always had the problem. So his ped's think or hope I should say that he grows out of it eventually. the past 3 days ( And this is a typical situation ) he's been straining like 6-7 times a day to poop and he gets barely a rabbit sized poop out and its usually still stuck in his butt, he eats fine, he's on soy milk, cheese because he got tummy issues and bad ezcema from whole milk. What else can I do? he eats fruits and veggies and drinks water. DO kids grow out of this? should I be more persistant with the Doctors? What could the issue really be?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Could be a gluten intolerance. It usually causes diarhea but it can cause constipation. My son had the same problem before we found out that he had an intolerance. What we did was add benefiber to his cereal every morning. It's tasteless and dissolves completely. Now that we eliminated gluten from his diet, he has no problem going.

Have him tested for food intolerances. Rast test for IgE & IgG.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe talk to the doc about Miralax or something like that? My nephew has spina bifida, and it makes it hard for him to go on his own and he's on Miralax daily i think.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You don't say how old your child is.

Was your son breastfed. It is very unusual for breastfed babies to be constipated. When a baby is fed formula it causes changes in the digestive track that can lead to lifelong digestive problems. Since you say that the problems started that early it makes me think formula was the problem if your baby didn't have any birth defects.

You might try eliminating all milk products. Since I don't know how old your son is I don't know what to suggest for calcium.

You can find out more about formua and the digestive track at kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Dairy is very constipating; definitely stop giving him cheese. Feed him high fiber foods like avocado, sweet potato, cooked beans, brown rice, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i had the same problem with my daughter she's 8 now and grew out of it at around 5 but she don't eat much rice bread or pastas now and if she is feeling a bit constipated a little white grape juice seams to do the job
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2009