best pacifier for breatsfeed babies?

my baby is 5 wks old and loves her soothie...however she cant keep it in her mouth for long before it pops out...what kind of binkys worked for you breastfeed babies...i need to know!!

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 6:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so...i didnt think I would have to explain myself...but i was kidding myself i guess! I followed the recommended 6 wk rule with introducing a bottle and a binkie to my first and you know whta i got? A baby who's only sorce of milk and comfort was my tit!! She did not touch a bottle till she was 8 mos old..I was a crazy mess!! I couldn't have a night out with my girls or my hubby! Since she never had a binky before then either, I became her binky!...I will not do that again!! My Babes is 5 weeks old now and she takes one bottle every night for big sis or dad and my milk flow is just fine. I plan on nursing her till she is 18 mos...JUST LIKE I DID HER SISTER! So i'll thank you not to try and tell me what is Best for my child!!
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 6:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son loves the born free pacifiers. My aunt got them for him, and they are the only ones he will keep in his mouth. He spits all others out almost immediately.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 6:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I let my twins have pacifiers starting around 4 or 5 weeks. We used the Nuby ones, but they didn't stay in well until the babies were a little older.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• With DS we tried several pacifiers. At first soothies were his favorite but he had a tough time holding on to them so we tried Playtex Binkies and he loves still to this day. And yes I breastfeed until nine months.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Lolosmom, how old is your son? Just wondering if she is still to young to keep a grip on it and thats why she keeps losing them.
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 6:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The pacifier YOUR BABY will take. But it's VERY common that they don't leave them in their mouths. There may not be any trouble with what you're using at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son never did use paci's, but when he did - he loved the NUK ones.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It's recommended that breastfed babies not have pacifiers at all. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for around 6 months (without pacifiers).

Pacifier use will allow your fertility and periods to return quicker. Babies who use pacifiers are weaned sooner. Using pacifiers may cause your baby to give you sore nipples or bite. Using pacifiers may cause your baby to refuse to breastfeed. It's not worth the risk.

The exception is mothers who are away from their babies for work or school and the babies have no other way to meet their sucking needs. There is no pacifier that has been proven to be better for breastfed babies.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I put Nuby in my response, but I actually meant NUK. Also, some babies don't really take to any of them. My older daughter never used one, and only one of my twins was attached to one at a young age (the other one did evetually take to it, but she was several months older before she acted like she really wanted it).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son is now 5 months, but has been keeping them in since around 6 to 8 weeks.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 6:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009