• In the Spotlight:

what is the difference?

What is the difference between "born again believers" and other Christians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• November and Cinnamon both said it well. I'll just keep it simple, being a christian is a religion, being born again is entering into a relationship with God, through Jesus Christ. When we accept Christ as savior the Holy Spirit comes and lives inside of us. I don't know how this happens, but I know it does.

Now I know this sounds insane to people who have not experienced it, had I not experienced it myself I wouldn't believe it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I "think" born again believers are usually adults that were not christian and they found christianity to be for them and were then baptized, baptizing is a ceremony that means you are starting your life anew with God, and so are "born again". People that say they are christians probably grew up in the religion for their whole lives... that's how I understand it anyway :)
    NewMomKelly

Answer by NewMomKelly at 7:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We and You were not called to be a "pew sitter or bench warmer." Every believer should be doing the same works that Jesus did when He walked the earth over two thousand years ago. He came and lived among man leaving the way with the Apostles; they showed and shared the way and that is still continuing today. We all have an important part in the Church that Jesus is building. If you are a believer, you should be walking in the calling; God has set you apart and appointed you for, before you were born. (Jeremiah 1:5) Remember, the Church is not housed in a commercial building or structure; WE are the Church ("Ecclesia," the called-out ones).
    We're baptized both in the water and the spirit and are now born in Christ Jesus.
    He expects us to do our part in His work here on Earth.
    Many call themselves Christian; yet they do not even know Him.
    The modern Christianity has nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus. EAR TICKLERS.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 7:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I asked this question last week sometime, and although I got some really good answers I still don't get why there should be a difference. I know that some denominations place more importance on being "born again" than others though...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 2009 by: anime_mom619
    I asked this question last week sometime, and although I got some really good answers I still don't get why there should be a difference. I know that some denominations place more importance on being "born again" than others though...
    ~~~~
    Do you have the Holy Spirit?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 7:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Anime, I don't really think there is a difference between the concept of "born again" and whether or not people use it to refer to themselves or not JMHO :-) I consider all Christians to be "born again" if they've died to self, accepted a spiritual birth by the Holy Spirit. I think "born again" is either so misunderstood or has become almost a "Christian cliche'" that some people choose not to use the phrase. But all Christians are techinically "born again" IMHO.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I take my definition of "born again" very literally from John chapter 3:

"Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him." In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• "Water" is our physical birth from our mother, the one Nicodemus was referring to. "Fire" is our death to sin and rebirth in the spirit as evidenced by the annointing of the Holy Spirit (see the account of Pentecost in Acts). Being born again is becoming truly saved.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yay Novemberlove answered the question for me hehe... I was thinking of the exact same story.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• oops, I meant to say "spirit" not "fire," "fire" is mentioned elsewhere but not in that text lol.

Shan :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009