Is your child autistic?

At what age were they diagnosed? At what age do you know your child is not for sure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. Both of them. They were diagnosed at 2 1/2 and 3--they're now 7 1/2 and 5 1/2. Both can speak, read, write, and do math skills at or above grade level. Their difficulty comes with conversational speech and socialization--which we are addressing with intensive behavioral and dynamic intelligence development programs.

Most children are diagnosed before age 5...my children didn't speak before the age of 4, but were 100% potty trained by then, and are now spending 80% of their school day in regular education classrooms.

Autism can be mild or severe, and no two children are exactly alike in terms of temperament or behaviors.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had Asperger's growing up. I was diagnosed at 5. I still excelled in school and college and eventually "grew out of it." I'm still very shy and anti-social at times, but on the plus side, I'm terrific at math and figuring out complicated things.

I don't think that there is an age that you can "know for sure" that they do or don't have it. I do know that the average age for diagnosis is 3-4 though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Autistic children are also potty trained easier suposedly. I was potty trained at 7 months. I apparently watched them struggle with my older sis who was 3...i crawled over to the toilet,pulled myself up, peed, climbed down and said "hmmph." and that was that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 7 months? yeah, right! 7 month olds can barely sit up let alone crawl and climb up onto a regular sized toilet. Sounds like what my 64 year old mother told me, only she claimed she was 6 months old! LOL And lets not forget, she also managed to unfasten safety pins, as there were no disposable diapers back then. Unfortunately for her, she "peaked" at 6 months of age--it was all downhil lfor her from then on! LOL

As for potty training autistic children--it's NOT easy--there are all kinds of sensory and auditory processing issues they're dealing with--if anything, it's harder--especially with boys. And some autistics do not have the ability ot even sense when they have to void--there simply isn;t a connection in the brain that tells them when they need to relieve themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• As mentioned before, there are varying degrees of Autism, and those different degrees will dictate if a child is easy or difficult to potty train...as only ONE part of it (there are many other factors including the childs own disposition)

My autistic kid was diagnosed at age 5. He just decided one day he wanted to wear underwear and use the potty when he was three and that was it.

I, too, have to doubt the 7 month old climbing on the potty...but I have my doubts because one does NOT "grow out of" autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My oldest was diagnosed at 3 and he's now almost 12, my middle son was diagnosed at 2 and he's now 9. I don't think there really is an age when you know for sure. It depends on how you feel about aspergers - I personally think it's on the same spectrum as autism, just a very high functioning type of autism and there are people in their teens who are just being diagnosed with aspergers.

Answer by missanc at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009