please help...

My husband had MRSA for 3 years and didn't know that's what it was. We finally took him to the ER when he had a bunch of infection pockets on his stomache. They gave him an oral antibiotic and a cleanser. He took it and it went away. We asked them if we should be worried about our 8 month old getting it, and me as well...in fact I had a couple of the same things on my side....but they told us that once his was gone that mine would go away, and since he was being treated and it would go away fast, we had nothing to worry about with our dd. Well, now she has one on her bottom......poor thing! It's terrible. I know I need to call and make an appointment with her ped. but I'm just wondering if they will be able to give her anything being as she is so young.....and how fast will it bring her immune system done???? I'm so scared!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes they can treat her and they should have told you all to be ready to get it. Once you get it you almost cant get rid of it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Of course they can give your daughter something. Children can take antibiotics at any age. My suggestion whenever anyone is given an antibiotic is to get a probiotic supplement to replace all of the "good" bacteria in your gut that the antibiotic will kill. You can also just eat yogurt. I have a probiotic powder that I dissolve in my daughter's milk (she's older, though).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My husband got it at boot camp.....and he didnt know that it was mrsa......we just thought it was stress....and then I got them......still thought it may be stress....and then he got checked. I feel like a horrible mother because I let my dd get it.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am the OP....i didnt know i marked it anon...
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yeah I used to work in a hospital and anytime we had patients with MRSA, we had to use the isolation gowns, gloves, and sometimes masks if they had it in the respiratory system because it's THAT contagious.
    Whoever told you it isn't was an idiot.
    And yes they can give her something. She'll probably have some nasty diarrhea because of the antibiotics though.
    And yes, it can come back very easily.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son ended up getting impetigo on his face at 4 months, they originally thought it was MRSA and treated him with the anti-biotic for it.. The test result ended up being negative so that was good news but yeah they treated him at 4 months so they will definitely treat your baby at 8mo
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009