My older kids loved their baby food, but this baby (5 months) won't have anything to do with it. We've tried rice cereal with expressed milk, applesauce, and peaches- hated them all! I thought maybe she wasn't ready, but she loves teething biscuits and rice krispie cereal! She seems to want to skip the soft baby food and go straight to the real thing! Has anyone else experienced this? Oh- she is teething- one already in and another tooth coming soon!

frat_twin_mama

Asked by frat_twin_mama at 8:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son went through this.
    He went straight to foods that he could gnaw on... and he's fine. His pedi says he's doing great.
    If the baby wants to skip that stage... then skip it. The harder stuff is probably soothing the gums as teeth come in.
    Try ice pops. :]
    And there's these popsicle looking things with netting over them - we have a few, don't remember what they're called. You can stick pieces of fruit, and they gnaw on them - sucking the juices and whatnot, without choking on anything. Works wonders.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• And there's these popsicle looking things with netting over them - we have a few, don't remember what they're called. You can stick pieces of fruit, and they gnaw on them - sucking the juices and whatnot, without choking on anything. Works wonders.

Those are called teething feeders. Munchkin and Sassy make them.
    Oaksmommy

Answer by Oaksmommy at 8:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• dd didn't do soft or baby food either. but she wasn't really interested in solids until about 10 months. i say go with what your baby is "telling" you, although at 5 months solids really aren't recommended or necessary for a breastfed baby. but since you are already intent on feeding your lo, make sure the teething biscuits your lo is chopping on don't break. they always broke off when dd was chewing them (maybe it was the organic brand), and i was worried about choking. check out kellymom.com for info on delaying solids and good first foods.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I never fed baby cereal or food. I always started with bananas. I agree with kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks gals. I'm not really intent on feeding her and have only offered a few things because she has been showing all the signs of being ready (watching us eat, trying to grab the food, getting mad when we don't give her some!). I would actually prefer to wait a little longer!! The teething biscuits I have used are really puffy rice cracker things that just dissolve. I don't remember what they are called because a friend just gave me a couple packs of them from her kids' box, but Peyton loved them! I do have one of the mesh things and have given her a couple different fruits in it and she loved that too. I think she wants food, but only wants food that feel good on her gums!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 11:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009