Junk Yard Clunkers?

Program hurting junk yards? How many of you go to junk yards for parts for your vehicles? I am currently restoring a 91 Camero and we did find many parts from the salvage yards. My huband is a mechanic as a hobby and I have heard and seen on the news that the cash for clunkers is hurting the junk yard business. Anyone else seen this?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 8:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard a few interviews with salvage yard owners on public radio. They seem split about if it is actually hurting them or not, on the one hand, they are getting a lot of parts for cheap, on the other hand, people are buying new cars and so they will not need the parts. However, my gut says that there are still people who will be looking for parts, my guess is that there are plenty of people that are driving junkers that will be needing the parts.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Stacy I had to laugh at the driving junkers comment. My 91 Camero is 18 years old but we just had an $8k body work/paint job done to it. Of course this is our hobby--restoring vehicles. Older does not mean junkers.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Stacy I had to laugh at the driving junkers comment
    _____________
    I would never imply that a Camero is a junker! lol, no way, I'm sure it's very cool, and I am a fan of Cameros myself. The comment was referring to people who are really driving junkers (Like the '89 Bonneville I used to drive when I was broke.) It wouldn't have mattered about any rebate, I still wouldn't have taken on a car payment. That's what I was talking about, not classics!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am just curious if this will really hurt the salvage yards with the clunkers program. Doesn't the vehicles traded in have to be made not to run anymore? I just find that such a waste, some of these could have been donated to charity.

But there are many people that can not afford to trade their clunkers in right now.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Don't worry, it won't last long.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 8:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't think anyone is getting hurt. I think people want to be enraged, but in the end its actually helping out. People are buying cars and getting rid of their gas guzzlers. The car lots are selling cars and making money. The banks are making money financing. Credit is rolling again. More inefficient gas guzzlers are getting off the road. Its one of those few win win situations.
    There will still be people using junk yards, because there are still people who like to fix things. This is what everyone talked about, when it came to bailouts. People are benefiting.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 8:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• the junk yards are salvaging the metal and selling it to brokers to sell to china. China has taken over most of Americas foundry work. The metal is melted into iron.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes the traded in cars have to be "destroyed."

Talk about a farce for helping the environment.

Driving your old gas guzzling clunker that you already have is still way better for the planet than all the mining and factory building and shipping it takes to produce a brand new eco-car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009