why do people have to touch the kids when shopping?

okay people acan look and comment about kids but, why touch? you don't know if my kids or sick or if they are, moms don't like setting in a doctors office for hours. and gettig sick we alreadyhave so much to do playing ,teachind with the kids not to mention, the cooking cleaning laundry, yard work. moms need to have relaxing time to but when, my grandma used to say a womens job never ends oh what a wise women..

Ashlee0323

Asked by Ashlee0323 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree! I would never touch a strange baby or child without asking the parent first- you never know what kind of medical issues the child may have (such as a suppressed immune system, etc) that could cause them to get sick even if you aren't particular feeling bad!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If it is a Hispanic person it is for superstitious reasons. The belief in ojo runs very strong in many of us. It is the belief that if you adore someone and don't touch them they may get sick (headache, whiny, fever). So in many of our minds we aren't thinking of getting them ill by touching them, we are thinking of preventing them from getting ill by touching them.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It doesn't bother me. It's flattering that they think my 13 month old is so adorable. It's always little old ladies anyway.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yeah I was at Target the other day paying, one foot on the stroller, and I swear this little old lady came out of nowhere, and when I turned around she was touching my baby's face.
    I'm like seriously?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What I do is I just politely ask that they don't touch and give some reason like....he's got a cold or she's afraid of people she don't know and prefer to not be touched. Some people, especially elderly love babies and don't think it's a big deal. Back then it wasn't probably. I don't mind most of the time if the person don't seem sick or if my kids are not sick, which if my kids are sick I don't take them out unless I absolutely have to. At the mall especially, kids play around, hold hands when they meet new friends etc...
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Everyone feels the need to touch my DDs super curly hair. When they touch and make comments about it I just tell them "yeah and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to take care of because people want to touch it all the time" and the majority of the time they still don't get it!!
    beautyqueen616

Answer by beautyqueen616 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2009