I am so stress and my breastmilk is getting low...i have tried pumping but it seems not to be coming in...im pregnant so Im not sure what to do.. i would to start taking my anti-depressent but i can't bc im breastfeeding and pregnant any advice?

I am a part time student and go to work part time..I am bi-polar but currently not taking med due to breast feeding and pregnant. I don't want to stop breast feeding cause I feel me and my son are bonding. But I can't seem to get enough milk to feed him all he can do is snack on the milk I produce. The doctors say it harms this baby by still breast feeding but so many people have done it through the years. I also researched it and online says its okay. Any advice? Please help.

justme0626

Asked by justme0626 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• first of all, you are not harming your baby by breastfeeding! secondly, how do you know he isn't getting enough? does he have at least 6 wet diapers/day? if yes, and he's gaining weight and meeting milestones, you're fine! don't trust the pump! they are not as effective at getting milk out as your baby is. many moms have fed babies without an issue but can't pump anything. btw, 1/2-2 oz IS normal for pumping from with breasts. how old is baby? it could be a growth spurt! babies nurse more to increase your supply, continue nursing whenever your baby wants to. pm me if you have any more questions! hang in there! you're ding great!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• oh, and make sure you relax as much as possible. stress can affect your letdown. trust your body to do what it was meant to. you will make milk if you relax, nurse on demand, and don't supplement. supplementing kills supply!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I totally agree with everything kyriesmommy13 has stated. She is a very smart lady. Breastfeeding is bestfeeding! On demand is the best too. Drink plenty of water, especially while feeding. Relax as much as possible. the beauty of breastfeeding is not having to measure formula. Your baby is probably getting enough milk if he has 6 to 8 wet diapers a day.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The advice above is good if you are talking about nursing one baby under normal circumstances. This is not normal circumstances.

First of all it is very important that if you are bipolar you are on medications. There ARE medications that you can take while you are breastfeeding and pregnant. Without meds your life or the life of your baby could be at risk. You must get on meds. I have a son that is bipolar and I know a lot about bipolar disorder.

If the only reason you are breastfeeding is bonding, you can do that no matter how you feed. The important reason to breastfeed is because it is best for your baby.

Why have doctors told you it harms your baby to breastfeed? Your baby or your unborn baby?

The amount you can pump has nothing to do with the amount your baby gets. What makes you think your baby is not getting enough? Are you giving formula?

You need to contact a Lactation consultant or LLL Leader.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Try eating a bowl of oatmeal everyday. For some reason that upped my supply. Also, your body produces milk on demand meaning the more your baby suckles, the more your body will produce.

I have major clinical depression (not bi-polar but still am on medication for it) I do know that when I am not on my medication it affects how I take care of myself and my child. I would talk to your doctor about what medications you can take. I am on 20mg of Lexapro a day and have been all throughout my pregnancy and while breastfeeding. If you are not able to breastfeed, don't beat yourself up. There are many ways to bond with your baby. When my boyfriend would feed our son, I would have him take his shirt off and undress the baby down to his diaper so they had the skin-to-skin contact and he fed him with a bottle. If you end up bottlefeeding try that.. do as much skin-to-skin as you can :)

Hang in there momma
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i also wanted to add that you can check the groups out, i think there is one on tandem nursing. which i, personally, think is amazing and beautiful!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009