Questions on breeding

I'm clueless. I'd like to breed my Siberian husky and have no idea how the whole "breeding" process works.

Who pays for what? How do you split the profits from the puppies? Would we be allowed to keep one of the puppies (Havoc is male by the way)?

These may seem like silly questions to you, but I really have no idea. I googled it but I must be looking it up wrong haha. Please no bashing, any advice would help. Thanks :]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pets

• If you find a chick dog whose owner is looking for a stud you get pick of the litter.

though i'm not sure why you'd want to breed your dog, there's too many puppies out there as it is.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Is your dog AKC or CKC registered? If not the only way someone would want your dog to stud is if they just wanted pretty puppies.

What you "get" is subjective to the deal you make with the other owner.

And I agree, there are too many puppies out there as it is. =(
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• First of all do you show your dog or compete to prove your dog is worthy of passing along his genes? Have you done testing to see if he has any diseases that may be passed along. This is more than just a physical. If you do breeding correctly do you know you will actually loose money on breeding. No one should be breeding for profit. There are too many pets in the world as is. The only reason to breed is to better the breed. That takes years of learning and planning. I suggest you find a mentor for your specific breed and learn for a few years. Breeding should not be just throwing two dogs together and selling the pups for a couple hundred dollars. That is back yard breeding and its responsible for the thousands of dogs that die each day in shelters across America. It is also the reason there are so many genetic defects in purebreds. Please think twice before breeding. Its not about money.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I completely agree with the PP.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Well said, Salem!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Advice; Don't breed for profit... There are thousands of dogs being put down in shelters every year... It just isnt worth it. If you want a new puppy adopt... If your looking for profit, you wont find it in breeding.. If you do the math correctly, the amount of money spent on vet bills and shots will sometimes outdo the amount of money you will make.
    Try and imagine your dog stuck in a shelter waiting for the right person to pick him/her up, or worst yet.. being euthanized because there is no more space for him or her. It isnt the responsible thing to do.
    Breeding is painful on dogs as well, I advise you do your research and look long and hard into this before pursuing it.
    Spay/neuter your dog... you'll be doing your dog a great favor. Good luck :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• if u want to be a back yard breeder then make sure who ever is useing ur dog as a stud is responsiable in the fact that he will make sure all the pups have good homes and are vaxed and wormed befor he sales them...im not about pure bred animales i like my mutts but i know some people like to have that peice of paper that says my dog is speacial and i paid a few hundered dollars to say that rather then go to a shelter and save a life...im not judging people who have pure breds soem people do it the right way
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• salemwitchchild took the words right out of my mouth!!! Breeding is not to be taken lightly, and when done correctly is NOT a money making venture. Please consider neutering your dog and allowing him to be a beloved family pet.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• salem got it just right! Plus Good breeders don't 'make' money. if you insist on doing so your dog would need to be registered and tested before any serious breeder would consider your dog as a stud. Most serious breeder start out with there own stock and show them. once they have a good reputation in show, which can take several years, they begin to breed. Mixing with other show dogs. You have to continue to show and gain points and Ch. for your dogs to continue to being a notable breeder. it is not an over night process and it is not a money maker. It is a hobby that requires a lot of time and patience because nothing involved in it happens overnight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009