Does "your baby can read" really work?

I am expecting and I want my baby to be able to read like the commercial says they will be able to.... But before I waste my time and money I wanna know if it really works.... I don't kno anyone who has tried it... But maybe u guys can help... Please and thank u

Mamicela87

Asked by Mamicela87 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do a topic search.

In a single word, "NO"

Save your money and teach your kid to REALLY read when the kid is ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It can teach some word recognition but that will not help them learn to actually sound out new words and add them to their reading fluency. Systematic phonics benefits our children by teaching them to break down words and other learning challenges and learn them bit by bit. It also helps them learn to attack vocabulary when they approach foreign languages in the upper grades. Primary school material is to be used as building blocks, not just separate skills. Whole word reading at the foundational, developing age that preschoolers are in may foster dyslexia by expecting them to absorb words as whole units rather than teaching them to work through the letters one by one.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Why? My daughter was reading at four, without any electronics, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What callmeann said. The children may be able to see the word "duck" and know that it spells "duck" but they would never be able to understand that the words "truck", "luck", "stuck" sound the same. It doesn't teach reading, it teaches memorization. I'm sure that there are some benefits, such as helping with language development. But is certainly doesn't teach a child to read. Actually sitting down with your child and reading books to him/her would be far more beneficial than this silly scam.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 11:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No, it hasn't worked my nephew yet - he's 17 months.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009