can you potty train a seemingly uninterested toddler?

my daughter is almost two. i really want to get her potty trained asap b/c we're expecting another baby and i feel like it's time for her to start learning potty training ( i know that what i feel and how she feels are totally different i'm not trying to force her, lol). problem is, she still poops and pees and doesn't tell me that she has a dirty diaper. i don't know what happened, she USED to tell me, but doesn't anymore for whatever reason. would it hurt to try to put her in big girl panties and see how potty training goes? she hates messes so maybe it would encourage her to use the potty? what do you think, should i give it a try or wait a while longer for her to show more signs of potty training readiness?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think it would hurt to put her in big girl pants. You could have her sit on the potty and see how it goes. I waited until my son was developmentally ready and potty training was done in about 2 days. I didn't expec it to be so easy, but it was. I have 2 others to train and they are all 18mo. apart so i still have 2 in diapers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• try letting her run around naked. whenever i let my son run around naked he tells me "put diaper on!" which means he's gotta go! so i take him to the toilet and he goes!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 9:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• exxOHjickie is right. Let her run around naked. That is what I'm doing with my 20 month old right now. She will go pee on the toilet...but sometimes I find poop on the floor. You just have to watch them.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 10:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Nothing wrong with giving it a try. (that's what I'm doing right now) There are so many different opinions on when the right age and interest level is - that you'll never know until you try.

Figure on dedicating a few days to just being at home and having her sit on the potty about every half hour. And explode with joy and rewards if they go...If they're ready, it will click, and they'll start to get it.

If after 4 days or so there's no big improvement. Just hang it for a month or two, and try again. Eventually it will be the right time for her.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm totally for the naked idea, though I personally chose letting her run around in just training panties.

They're like normal panties, but with an extra few layers of cotton between the legs, which helps catch the little tinkles - no help at all on the big ones though.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I would make a really, i mean really, big deal out of it - going to the store and buying the big girl panties, make it a big occasion and see if that doesn't generate some interest. Then praise every time she tries, whether she goes or not, but when she goes lay it on thick!

Answer by missanc at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son is gonna b 19mo old and he is already wanting to use the big boy potty! I would take him with me when I would go to use the restroom and I would show him what I did and tell him I was a big girl... you could try getting her to like her potty like have her decorate it with stickers and get her excited about the potty and bring her in the restroom with you when you go and encourage her to use her potty like you use yours.. I do this with my son and just about every time he uses his potty and I always clap my hand and shout in joy and praise him for being a big boy!! he really likes it when I do! he gets all excited for using his potty...
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 1:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If she can say potty and understand the word try this. My mom and me have a method for potty training in ONE day! You get a toddler potty and a pee baby doll. You turn off all your phones and any other destractions lockign yourself in the kitchen. Than the WHOLE day you feed them light snacks and juice. Take the baby doll and show them the baby doll is using the potty making it a game and than continually put them on the potty saying your turn to go potty. You do this back and forth all day ONLY talking about "potty". Eventually they will get it all completely down and u can stop. Soemtimes it takes a few hours sometimes it takes all day. Once you think they got it down they are not allowed another diaper again and if they make an accident we make them clean it up making them not wanting to EVER do that again. Im doing this with my 2yr old very soon :) WOOHOO for no more diapers!
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 4:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009