what is the best way to transition a co-sleeping toddler into a toddler bed?

getting her to go to sleep at night is a huge struggle and she will scream bloody murder if i try to lay her down at night (unless she is in bed with us). she has been co-sleeping most of her life so i know the transition won't be a smooth one, but what is the best way to get her used to her big girl bed with as little tears as possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put the toddler bed right up against my bed. Put her to sleep and then move her into her bed. If she wakes up, put her back to sleep in your bed...then put her in hers again. In a few days you should just be able to put your hand on her and her go back to sleep when she gets comfortable with that, move her bed a couple of feet away from yours. Put her down for naps in her bed while you clean your room or something till she is asleep. After a while you should be able to move her to a far wall and then to her own room. I just reached the far wall today with my third child. It works...just takes time and a lack of sleep for awhile. Good luck
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 10:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I put the toddler bed right next to our bed too ! and make sure that you make bed time fun ! ask her to get her favorite toy and put it to bed with her then tell her to lay there with her toy to make it " go to mee mees " ! it really works ! when my sons tired he goes and gets his monkeys and a few trucks and goes to bed on him own and hes not even two yet !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well... I think you found your answer :) I did the exact same thing as these other moms. My son slept in my bed til he was about 3 year old. I finally gave in and bought him a toddler bed. Put it right against mine and he was fine. every night he fell asleep holding my hand :). Now he is 5 sleeping in a full size bed in his own room!! Only time he comes to my room is to tell me he has to potty. I think you've got it... It really wont be that hard if you do it the way everyone else is saying. PS: Forgot to tell you: once he got comfy sleeping beside me then I put the toddler bed at the foot of my bed, then when he was ok with that I moved him to his own room. The whole process probably took about 6 months. GL!!!
    beka03

Answer by beka03 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• this is great advice, thanks everyone! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• so glad I stumbled upon this question...DS is 13 months and I was starting to think that I missed any chances of moving him into his own room! lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I don't know the best way. But I can tell you what worked for us! We bought my toddler a double bed. Daddy slept with her about a week, then stayed with her till she fell asleep for another 3-4 nights, then started kissing her and telling her he's see her in the morning (daddy does bedtimes with non-nursing babies). That was that! No tears, no nothing.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2009