Help! My kids won't keep their hands out of their mouths~!

This is so frustrating to me. Constantly, all throughout the day (as I say, sit all of the way in your chair, close your mouths when you chew, remember to say please and thank you) I am having to ask my kids to take their fingers out of their mouths.

My son (almost 5) and daughter (3) bite their nails, and finger tips, so badly, it is a huge habit and I am worried their nails won't grow correctly if they keep it up.

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 9:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son did this into his teen years. It took several years of not biting but they now look kind of normal.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When I was around and saw it, I'd gently pull the fingers out of the mouth. When the child gets older you can suggest trying to break the habit. I broke myself of biting my nails when I was 10. I told myself that if I put my hand down instead of into my mouth 30 times, then I would have the nail biting habit anymore. It made me be conscious of when I was starting to put my fingers in my mouth, and by the time I hit 30 times of stopping the urge, then I no longer bit my nails. If you don't mind using shock tactics, my grandmother warned me that if I didn't stop biting my nails that I could get pin worms, and it is possible. You can describe pin worms to the children and tell them about the eggs that you can't even see getting on their fingers and into their mouths. You could even get a strong magnifying glass so they could learn that here are some very tiny things around.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009