alcohol consumption during pregnancy

First off, I know it's not right to drink while pregnant. I'm not a drinker and I would never do that to my unborn child.

My question comes from something my cousin told me.

My cousin is a big drinker and drank throughout some of her pregnancy. To justify this to me she claims that the alcohol does not effect the baby as much after 7 months pregnancy. She said that the baby is the most vulnerable during the beginning but once you get to a certain point it will not cause birth defects. She said she only had a drink or two a week and that, that too was okay. She would drink smirnoff ice, one or two once or twice a week.

Is this as big of BS as I think it is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is some truth to that. The baby is most vulnerable during the beginning stages, but one or 2 a week, even that far along, seems a bit much to me. I would never be comfortable with it. Or watching anyone else do it for that matter.
    Is she an alcoholic that she just couldn't wait?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Your baby is constantly growing and developing throughout these nine months. During the first four weeks of pregnancy, your baby's heart, central nervous system, eyes, arms, and legs are developing. Your baby's brain begins developing around the third week and continues to develop through the rest of your pregnancy. During the third trimester, your baby is rapidly growing in size. If you consume an excessive amount of alcohol during these crucial times of development, you may cause problems for your baby.

Results of excessive amounts of drinking (drinking on a regular basis or binge drinking) can lead to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or Fetal Alcohol Effects. These are lifetime, irreversible effects that can cause physical, mental and neurobehavioral birth defects
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 9:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe your cousin has a problem..not trying to be mean about it, but seriously. I don't think one doctor would tell her that drinking is ever "ok" during pregnancy. Maybe the baby is more vulnerable towards the beginning, but that doesn't mean that it won't hurt them at all. When I was pregnant I was soo worried that any little thing would hurt the baby... even when I cleaned with windex and stuff like that, so I can't even imagine going through pregnancy that careless. If she is that careless now, imagine when the baby is actually here.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 9:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I never drank at all (Well sipped champange at a cousins wedding, had less then half a glass the whole night) but I have heard that a glass of WINE here or there in the third trimester is no big deal (not sure why wine, maybe it has a lower alcohol content?) but it seems like two smirnoffs twice a week would be pretty bad....
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Some countries recommend that pregnant women not drink; some don't. There's no scientific evidence that light drinking during pregnancy has any adverse effects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• during the 7th month is when most of the brain development is going on- so I couldn't see how that would be feasable....it sounds like she is making up excuses to drink- I mean if she can't stop drinking totally for 9 months- then there are other issues there...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes, it is as big of BS as you think it is! :) Drinking has not been proven safe at any point in pregnancy. Especially as often as a few times a week. Your cousin sounds like she has a problem giving up alcohol during pregnancy. But that's not the point. Point is, no stage of pregnancy is invincible to drinking. Never really a good idea since no stage of pregnancy has been proven safe....btw also no amount of drinking has been proven safe during pregnancy either. Doctors tell pregnant women to stay away from alcohol all the time-and it's good advice.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I don't know about that but my doctor told me a small glass of red wine (wine, not beer or hard liquor) once a week wouldn't hurt anything so I did that when I was 7 months pregnant.. of course I didn't down it or anything just sipped on the glass over a period of 2 or 3 hours. I think most doctors would tell you anymore than a glass of wine a week is too much.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• As to answer KatieP.. they say wine instead of other types of alcohol because wine, especially red had a lot of antioxidants in it, which some studies have found to be good for the heart as well as other things. Other alcohols have no benefits to them
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2009