I am going to be a new mom in September. My husband and I have a male cat and a female dog, who is a little over a year old. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to introduce pets to the new baby, so that it goes somewhat smoothly. I will listen to anything!

okgurl87

Asked by okgurl87 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I took the hospital blanket that they wrap them in when their first born and let my dog lay on it and get used to the scent. It worked like a charm. It took a couple of days for him to get used to the crying but now their best friends
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Bring a blanket to the hospital and wrap baby in it for a few hours. Have hubby take it home to let both animals sniff. They wil pick up the scent. ( you can even use the hat they put on baby if you like) This lets them be familiar with baby's scent b4 you bring baby home. Of course you want to keep a close eye on them when you do bring baby home, but at least they will be familiar.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My dogs, extremely luckily, took to my firstborn VERY well and extremely fast...
    We actually brought him home.. and the next thing, my dog was curled up around my son and they were both snoozing. :]
    But then again, he was in the NICU for 3 months - and we had his scent on us - so they might've gotten used to the smell? I'm not sure...

Congrats, btw!!

And, side note: Don't change your kitty's litter box, preggo mama.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• With our pets, we brought home a blanket form the hospital every day. You know how they swaddle them in like 3 thin receiving blankets? My husband brought those blankets home, with the permission of our nurses. And let our pets sniff them, and even put them in the dog's bed. My cat didn't really seem to care too much anyway. He's was just one of those fat Garfield type cats that only cared about food....he ignored everything else. Anyway, bringing home the blankets made us feel like at least the dog was getting the baby's scent and it would be a little familiar when we brought her home. He was concerned the first night she was home, but not in a bad way, just wanted to see her and sniff her.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Carry an extra blanket to the hospital and then have your DH bring it home to the female dog. I wouldn't allow the cat around the baby unsupervised for the first few months (not bc of any wives tale about stealing babies breath- but they like to cuddle and can cause problems that way or infections from cat scratches, even accidental ones). Pack some puppy treats or have them by the door, that way when you get home with the new baby you can feed the puppy treats so she associates treats = baby. I have four dogs myself, and am getting ready to introduce a new baby myself so I've read up on the different techniques and those two are the most popular. Good luck and Congratz!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• this is what we did...along the same lines as other posters...we took a baby blanket and wrapped our son in it for a few hours...Our newborn left the dogs a present. LOL he doodled. I told my husband to clean it off and don't wash it yet. Let the dogs sniff then toss it in the laundry. My dogs were fine with our son.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had my husband bring home a baby blanket for my cats. But someone told me to give my cats milk for awhile before she was born so that they wouldn't go for her face. This has kept them away from her face but i don't know if it would work for all cats. Also we didn't push her on the cats we let them come to her. It took a while but the are both really used to her now. and they will only cuddle up to her away from her face.
    MLB2005

Answer by MLB2005 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2009