Christians that don't believe in (a literal) hell, why do you not believe?

I'm not a Christian, and do not believe in hell (as a lot of Christians do). I believe that hell was mistranslated or something and really was originally the place outside of a city where trash was burned. Don't ask me where I got that info, it came from a lot of google searches and many sites devoted to mistranslations and whatnot.

Anyway, I was just wondering why you don't believe in a literal hell and what you believe in instead, if anything besides heaven. Thanks!

P.S. Please be respectful ladies, your opinion isn't the only one in the universe. If this turns into debate, I won't hesitate to report people and/or delete this question.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe in Hell, partially because its not something that's seen or emphasized in Jewish tradition (which is what we're based off of, and what Jesus followed), partially because I believe God to be perfect, unconditional love and grace and don't believe Him to put contingencies or conditions on the gift of grace, partially because I believe the punishment for sin is death, which we all pay, partially because I believe all religions/paths lead to Him, and partially because I believe that in order for it to exist God wouldn't be, COULDN'T be the God I see Him as, the God I believe in.

I've explained it many, many times, but not in Q&A, as there's not enough room. I'd be more than happy to PM, though, if more specific explanation is needed/desired.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I believe that heaven is like a school. I really believe that we create our own destiny before we are born. So those "evil" people who "deserve" hell have created that experience for themselves. I think that they have reached a higher level of learning and can create more difficulties in their next life. So there is no hell, there is just what we have created.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I do believe in Hell, but I don't believe it's a literal fire and brimstone

- because if you only have a spiritual body, physical fire wouldn't hurt anyway. I think that's a metaphor for how it feels to be so separated from God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thank you anons for actually answering the question I posed.

Cinamon, perhaps you should answer my other question regarding hell.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sorry! : ( I read the question wrong! I just noticed that I will delete these answers and post them again in the other question.

I thought it was for all Christians! ooops.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Lol it's ok, honest mistake.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i don't believe in hell. for my own crazy reasons i guess. my experiences with the supernatural and stuff have left me with a firm belief that MY God does not have a hell.
    but one never truly knows until the time comes, I'm not saying there isn't one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I believe that hell is simply an abscence from God- I do not believe we were created to be punished..or to burn for our sins...I believe that God knows you're heart and how you are dealt with after life is according to this...my mother commited suicide ten years ago and my own brother thinks she is burning in hell- I think God knew her heart and knew she was suffering and sick..just an example.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009