JUST MAD ABOUT SCHOOL

I went school supply shopping today for my 5th and 6th grader and the list made me mad. The basics are ok they both need pencils, red pens, notebooks, composition notebooks, and they both need a binder. This is what really makes me mad. 5th grade is in middle school and they have 7 different classes. My son has to take crayons and scissors and glue that the homeroom teacher will keep for everyone to use. She doesnt want just any glue she wants (glue All) Since im buying it why does it matter what kind? They both need clorox/lysol wipes again for the teachers to keep and why does it have to be clorox/lysol? why cant it be the cheaper brand? 2 boxes of kleenex a piece and a roll of paper towels a piece for the teachers. I know the students will be using this stuff sometimes but why the hell do I pay 300.00 school taxes every year. Why doesnt the school buy this stuff. I work my ass off working full time..CONT....

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in

• I wonder the same thing. It ticks me off that education budgets are getting cut since the economy sucks, but yet the parents have to make up for it, some of whom were laid off and jobless.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Beacause administration makes aver 100k a year, then they gotta pay teachers (which is crappy pay). If they'd cut admin salary, i think schools might be a lot better off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You only have to buy your child the neccesities....You can either wait and see if the teacher send a note home saying where are the lysol wipes??? Which I am doubting they would but if so you could let the school know you cant or wont send what they requested. Also go join the pta Im sure if you feel that way other parents do too. Maybe you could all approach the principal about it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yeah, for my 3rd grader I have to find Lysol wipes that are unscented... they're going to get fresh scent because I have 4 kids and I don't have the time to drive all over the dang place looking for unscented ones (haven't found them anywhere yet). Also they want 12 oz elmer's glue. I found 4 oz and 7.5 oz but no 12 oz anywhere yet. So they're getting 7.5 oz... too bad, And then all the kleenex and paper towels... last year by the end of the school year they had barely gone through half of all that stuff they got from everyone. Why do they need so much? I know we didn't have to buy this much when I was in school. I started on the first day with a backpack and a lunchbox and some clothes. The school provided everything else.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had the same problem with my sons lists and talked to the teachers about them. They both told me that they still have lysol wipes, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and baby wipes from last year so don't worry about it. I would talk to the teachers and see if that will help at all.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son is autistic which means he has a regular teacher (one supply list) and his S.E. teacher (another school supply list). I am already expecting the same thing this year as last. 2 intial school supply lists for my son, one list of cleaning supplies for the classroom (brand name only--no store brand) and another list to fill of the teacher's supplies...pens, dry erase markers, sharpies, etc. I was livid! I posted another question just like yours about my issues and was made to feel extremely demeaning and belittled. I was told "I feel sorry for your son's teacher", "You're selfish", "You should want to help your school for your son's education". Whatever, when they start paying my bills then they can complain. Till then I'm not buying crap that won't be used for my son. I know full well that his supplies will be handed out to other kids in the class. It is insulting.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The most upset I've ever been was when my son started pre-k. It was such an exciting time and we really enjoyed buying his school supplies, picking out exactly what he wanted. Well guess what, the first day of school they take everyone's brand new box of crayons and dump them into a box in the middle of the coloring table. Same thing with the markers, glue and scissors. My son was devastated. We learned real quick to buy the basic generic brand because you didn't get to use your own stuff anyway.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Chances are they will accept the cheaper brand.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• When we were in CA, this was not the case. The school provided EVERYTHING, and teachers got a stipend to set up their classrooms in most cases. Here in OK, I learned last year that they take everything and make it community property for the class. Even putting your child's name on the stuff doesn't mean they get to keep it. My solution: not buy the stuff. I'm not going to buy stuff for other people, and if they don't like it they can just suck it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• First off, I am sure they will accept off brand kleenex and wipes. We put Clorox on our lists too, but get off brand stuff. We don't care. We just want the wipes to sanitize every night. As for the homeroom teachers keeping supplies...I can understand that, for it prevents students from losing their shit, and coming to class unprepared. You'd be amazed at how quickly kids lose things, even in middle school.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2009