JUST MAD ABOUT SCHOOL CONT....

raising 4 kids which are all in school and while prices of food, gas and everything else are going up I havent had a raise in 2 years. How dare them to expect us to buy all this for the teachers. It would be different if my kids was keeping it with them but they cant. Am I wrong for feeling thisw way, am I the only one who feels this is BS?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in

• Delete this and add this to your first post as a response or people are gonna be lost, they think you are going to respond there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• lol, i repsonded to your other question. you can always continue as a answer.

But yes, It ticks me off and my daughter is still about 4 years away from that. My sister will be second grade and the list is ridiculous.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No i dont think you are wrong. I would like it if the kids kept thier supplies However the reasoning behind this whole new thing is that some kids cant afford anything at all and the teacher pay for A LOT of their own class room stuff. All the decorations you see in the room are bought by the teachers a lot of supplies is too. THis was the thought behind it to cut back on everyones cost to help each other. Weather or not it really is working idk.
    junebug83

Answer by junebug83 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I THOUGHT ABOUT HOW I POSTED THIS AFTER THE FACT I SHOULDVE DONE IT AS AN ANSWER. ITS BEEN A LONG DAY FOR ME SO IM NOT THINKING STRAIGHT!!! WILL TRY TO REMEMBER THE NEXT TIME
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I feel your pain the list is huge then when school actually starts they send an additional list, which I think is ridiculous.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• As long as the requests are reasonable, such as a box or two of tissues and a box of the off brand wipes, or hand sanitizer, then its okay. When I have to buy the teachers dry erase markers, which I have never found in off brand, then I get irriated. I dont mind helping out with stuff for the classroom, but I dont buy the teachers supplies. The list that I got yesterday for my girls was longer than any one I have ever seen. They are going to christian school this year and needed many things that are not on the average everyday list. One of my dd's needs a graphing calculator. At walmart it was $99. I found one on Amazon for $20. They needed a pocket dictionary, spanish/english dictionary, thesaurus, and all sorts of other extras.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:44 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I posted a question just like this and was berated for it. I was told I was selfish and how sorry they felt for my son's teacher this year since I didn't want to buy the cleaning supply list, teacher's supply list and the unreal amount of crap on my son's school supply list that he won't use all of and the rest will be handed out to those whose parents did not buy supplies. I was angry and still am. It is insulting for the amount of taxes we pay which are $4,000.00 (county and school) a year to have the extra lists come home when you thought you already bought the extras once before. I was told I wasn't a helpful mother for not going deeper into my account to fork over the extra crap that was asked for simply because the teacher asked for it. It is insulting and rude on the school's part to send home extra lists. We are $300.00 in for supplies for 2 kids at this point.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• There have been a LOT of budget cuts in the education system, so I understand helping out with certain items that USED to be supplied to the teacher, but are no longer provided. Kleenex and hand sanitizer, etc. The list recently has included things like glue sticks, crayons for the classroom, etc. If the teacher is going to have to buy these out of his/her paycheck, I'm not opposed to kicking in. What I don't understand, of course, is how 10 times a year every kid in the school gets to pick out a brand new free book, there's a Wii and Dance Dance Revolution in the FREE afterschool program, and all kinds of other super cool things, but they can't get the teacher some frickin' glue sticks?!?! Don't get me wrong, I really, REALLY appreciate the freebies and extras, but I think priorities are skewed.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I bitch about it, but at the same time I don't mind, this year though the list is rediculous, I have to pay a supply fee, and then supply a whole list of stuff and it is the biggest list yet! We are a small rural school district so a lot of it does fall on the parents, but we also just passed a very large bond to help the school out this year, so why the heck am I still forking out the bum?

My kids in high school cost even more, between sports, required ID cards at 25.00 each, towel fee's, class fee's, art fee's and the list goes on, I feel like the free part of public education no longer exist.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• op here again--our school got so many thousand dollars this summer and they are buying all new computers and lab stuff which wouldnt upset me so bad if the computers they have wasnt only 2 years old. Its all bull shit and it gets worse every year. Last year we had to send 2 packs of pencils for the homeroom teacher to keep and if someone had to borrow one they had to sign it out and back in and if they didnt turn it back in they get Detention after the third time. its not like the teacher bought it.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

Next question in
JUST MAD ABOUT SCHOOL