My 16-month-old won't sleep through the night!

I have a 16-month-old boy who just won't sleep through the night. We live in a 2-bedroom house, and I won't have him share a bedroom with his 11-year-old sister, so his crib is in the master bedroom. My husband has been sleeping on the couch for months, because he needs to get up and go to work in the morning. We've tried baths with chamomile and cereal before bed (for that full belly sleep), but they haven't worked. Our daughter slept through the night at 12 weeks, but had her own bedroom. The general consensus that I'm getting from family and friends (who don't have children my son's age, if they have children at all) is that it's because we share the room. Unfortunately, that's not likely to change until he's ready to move out of his crib and we are forced to get a bigger, more expensive, place to live.

Any tips or advice?!
Thanks!

MissNif

Asked by MissNif at 9:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter still wakes up during the night at 2 and she has her own room. It just takes longer with some kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Like anon, my girl kept getting up all through teething...and then when she finally got her last tooth in at 23 months she started sleeping through the night again. It was like magic.

...and now we're potty training, so she wakes up when she wets the bed - it's always something :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I always thought that my son would sleep through the night you know,....no later than 6 months. He's now 14 months and has only been doing it for about a month and a half now. We had him in DH and my room for a long time because we had a friend living with me. We hung a curtain from the ceiling halfway through the room so he couldn't see us if he was awake. I think kids just do it when they're ready and you cant make them before that..
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• All three of my boys started sleeping through the night between 2.5 and 3 years.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Wow, it's nice to see I'm not alone with late sleeper kids.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Dont let him take a nap past 3pm the latest 4pm... and make sure he plays alot to burn all of the energy he has. And dont let him fall asleep with you holding him or being in the room. I did this with my 19mo old son. I would let him cry himself to sleep (checking on him every 10mins) depending on how long it took 4 him to fall asleep crying made him more tired and on top of him being up since 3/4pm and laying him down at 8/9pm he would eventually give up and he would sleep through the night! also give him a bath everynight before bed it helps them relax. oh when I would check on him I would pick him up tell him its ok and when he calmed down from crying I would lay him back in his crib! This may sound mean but it actually worked for me!!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 1:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• RomeoButtlerMOM - Thanks for the tips! He usually gets up around 6-7 a.m. and then goes down for a nap between 10 - noon, and sleeps 1.5-3 hours. I'd say most days he's up from about 1 p.m. until he goes to bed 8-9 p.m. I'd think he'd be so pooped he'd sleep through the night! However, he does fall asleep every night with either myself or my husband by his side - which is funny, because when he seems ready for a nap, I just put him in his crib, he cries for 5 minutes, and then conks out!
    MissNif

Answer by MissNif at 2:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son is a year old and has NEVER slept through the night either!! Its frustrating but its nice to know that I'm not alone.
    mommy2angel

Answer by mommy2angel at 10:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I know being it's been three years that your son is probably sleeping through the night now!

My son does not sleep thru the night, and I've been told the same--that is it is because we share a room. I think this falacious. My reasoning is that when he has his own room, two or three nights a week, he still doesn't sleep through the night. I figure it'll pass. Yes it is exhausting, but eventually he will sleep.

Pterodactyl

Answer by Pterodactyl at 5:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2012