Violence at townhall, surprised? Who is to blame?

Many of the hundreds of protesters said that they had been inspired by Fox News host Glenn Beck and a conservative activist group, according to the St. Petersburg Times:

Instead, hundreds of vocal critics turned out, many of them saying they had been spurred on through the Tampa 912 activist group promoted by conservative radio and television personality Glenn Beck. Others had received e-mails from the Hillsborough Republican party that urged people to speak out against the plan and offered talking points to challenge supporters.
The Times added:

The spectacle at the Children's Board in Ybor City sounded more like a wrestling cage match than a panel discussion on national policy, and it was just the latest example of a health care meeting disrupted by livid protesters.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Tampa Tribune reports that some protesters carried racist caricatures of President Obama and added details of more fights and scuffles:

Several of the protesters' signs bore an image of Obama with his face painted as the Joker, an image that drew protests of racism locally when it appeared on a Web site thought to be associated with the Pinellas Republican party.

There were at least two scuffles between protesters trying to enter and organizers manning the doors.

One of those involved in a scuffle, Randy Arthur, of Oldsmar said he was injured by those manning the doors and said he would file a police report... Randy Arthur, who owns an air conditioning service company, later talked to police officers, his knit shirt ripped and a few scratches visible on his chest. "They slammed him into the wall,'' Kathy Arthur said.

Here is video of the health care forum
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Anon 7:11....you are an absolutely disgusting human being for saying that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I haven't watched the news. Guess I am out of it!! I will have to read more before I can reply. One question though, why on earth is Obama as the Joker racist????
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sweet a kins, if you would have married inside of your own race you wouldn't be so busy supporting you know who!
    ____________________
    Oh, yeah, the anti-Obama sentiment has nothing to do with race. Right, Sweet?! lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If the anon cannot use their sn then they aren't owning what they say and it becomes irrelevent.Use your name and say it anon coward.

Anyway I too would like to know just how having BO's face as joker is racist?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Also what is the source of this info?
    tnmomofive

• Most women who oppose Obama don't oppose him based on his race and I for one don't find him attractive at all. I have never dreamt about him other then in nightmares about him destroying our country. The Dems are to blame for trying to rush this health care debacle through when the people don't want it. They promised transparency but that was a lie. They want to force their agenda on us and when we protest they blame us for being upset when we will be affected but they will not.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

I am for health care reform and I will have to live with it...How is it the dems fault? They were elected to do a job. Are you saying this is acceptable behavior? Should we have started violent outburst at every Bush event?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Apparently they tried to close the door on them, and that led to a sort of stampede scuffle. It was mostly the protesters that got hurt.

....am I surprised that they're that angry and passionate about it? No. And while I support their beliefs that govt. health care is bad, I also support the police stepping in and stopping the violence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• They want to force their agenda on us and when we protest they blame us for being upset when we will be affected but they will not.

No one was blaming anyone for being upset. But when police have to be involved, they are hanging senators in effegy and not allowing others to be heard....well, they have crossed the line
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2009