has anyone ever used there pack and play for time out.. ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• What age child? I would think a child small enough to be in a pack & play wouldn't understand the concept of time out so what would be the point?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no, i would only use the pac N play while she is an infant and i dont think time out is needed during that age.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• op poster... my son is almost two.. and ive been using the crib.
    but that for now where he sleeps so im trying to think of something else.. for me to cool off and for him to stay put.. he is starting to kick . bite etc... be a toddler lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• NO!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• op again.. how do u get them to stay Put... im nt a spanker at All.. so im looking to show my little guy he cant smack his mommie in the face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• op- HOW do u get him to stay in time out.. if he he is to young to stay in time out. can i expect him to understand not to hit me...and if not time out... can a parent really dicipline a toddler without spanking.. which im nt going to spank so im looking for other effective options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• and you don't want to use the crib either b/c that associates sleep w/bad. as for making him stay put, repetition. when you put him in time out tell him he can get out when you say so, put him there for 2 mins, if he gets up before that 2 mins is up put him back. my daughter ended up staying in time out one time for over an hour b/c she would either get out and have to be put back or she would stay the allotted time but when she got out still refused to do what she was supposed to do so i sent her back in. its a matter of picking your battles and this is one you have to pick. he has to realize when you tell him its time out, that its time out. it'll take a long while for him to actually go and stay w/o being put back a few times. but it'll eventually work.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe you could get a time-out chair? A booster seat placed away from the dinner table? I see nothing wrong with using a pack-n-play for time-outs as long as he does not usually play/sleep there because he will associate the pack-n-play with punishment. I'm in the same boat. I don't have pack-n-play, so I usually put my son in the same corner in his room and walk away, shut the door for a minute... and breathe. It works, too. I'm usually in a much more calmer mindset after a minute, and he doesn't go back to whatever he did to earn the time-out (until the next day, week, whatever.) He is almost 14 months old. I don't believe in spanking either.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• he is not too young for time out, time out is meant for that age group (toddlers/preschoolers) b/c that is a perfect form of discipline for them, at least in my opinion it is. as for teaching not to hit, he is old enough to understand ouch, when he hits even if it doesn't hurt say ouch, tell him he hurt mommy, and now he needs to go to time out. after doing it often enough he should put 2 and 2 together and realize 1. it hurts others and he doesn't want to do that 2. it gets him in trouble.
    after time outs i talk to my daughter to make sure she knew exactly why she went. so if she goes for having an attitude w/me (shes 3 1/2 now but time outs started at 18 months) i'll sit her down and explain what she did that was wrong, and ask her to explain it back to me so i know she understands. when she was that age, i'd tell her "you went to time out b/c you hit, hitting is not nice, it hurts people, and if you hit your friends CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• CONT "they will not want to play with you. do you like it when someone hits you?" and leave it at that. over time the details got more in depth and i'd ask her more questions about whatever it was she'd done so she'd come to a conclusion about what she did wrong on her own. like after time outs i'd say why were you in time out. she'd answer and i'd give her another leading question to explain a little more about why she was/is there. that way she's figuring it out on her own now as well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009