my 6 month old daughter is holding her self up by herself while standing....

& i have a walker thing that converts so that the baby can walk with it... im not expecting her to walk, but i would like her to continue to learn to stand & make her legs strong.... im not putting this walker thing on tile of course, im keeping it on the carpet where it doesnt budge.....

is it a bad idea to allow her to stand up holding on to this?? im a new mommy lol so im not sure if its too early for her to do it. she completely does it well and holds it for a long time..

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was doing the same thing at that age.. i wouldn't worry to much about it
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• is it you stand her up or is she standing herself up/pulling herself up then holding on? if she is standing herself up and holding onto stuff than let her do it as long as she wants. if you are standing her up and positioning her to hold something than try to not do it too often b/c her legs may not be ready for it yet. as for the walker, you can put her in it and let her "stand" that way, she'll get to bounce her legs around and try the motion of walking but still have the added support she needs right now. and theres nothing wrong w/putting it on tile as long as you keep an eye on her and away from steps. my daughter wandered around the house in her walker from about 7 months til 10 months (she walked at 10 months so took away the walker)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• she is pulling herself up doing it...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter has been standing holding onto furniture since 10 weeks old. We use a walker about once a day. She hates it on carpet but loves it on the wood floors (she gets better traction that way) let her try it out on the tile...she may go backwards at first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• im sure your 2 month old was STANDING ..... hahhhahahahhahhah

if she is alreadydoing it, let her do it more often then :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• yeah i highly doubt a 10 wk old baby would be doing that, that sounds like a lot of bs to me, but it did give me a good laugh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Let her use the walker. I'd be amazed if her feet touch the floor though. My son didn't touch the floor until he was about 10 or 11 months old. But before then, I used a jumperoo. The baby einsten or the rainforest jumperoo. He loved it! It gave his legs a good work-out. My son could bear his weight on his feet at a month old (we didn't allow him to do it for more than seconds at time.) And he was cruising by 7 months old... but a jumperoo would allow your little one to exercise and practice without going anyplace she shouldn't be.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My daughter is very lonnnggg.. shes 28 inches... shes been in the 95th percentile since she was born lol. her feet are flat on the ground its cute :) i thnk ill just keep it in the walker position and not the walk behind position for a few more months....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My almost 5 month old has been able to push her self up and stand since about 3 weeks old. she can't balance or anything, but she had the leg strength to push her body up to standing when we held her hands for balance! She would stand like that for up to 5 minutes. We were totally amazed, but its completely true. She is almost crawling now but can't quite figure out how to coordinate the hands and legs. I wouldn't recommend letting her just stand on her own since she is so little still and may fall. I woulod suggest an exersaucer, Johnny Jump-up (the ones that hang in the door way), or a jumper of some sort. That way she is contained and safe and entertained at the same time
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 11:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009