Is my son ok?

I worry alot about mental illness and it affecting my son.. he's only 2 now.. I wonder if his little outburst and temper tantrums are related to a mental illness or if he's just a 2 year old boy.. He get's really upset over the smallest things.. example.. he loves matchbox cars more than anything right now and he likes to take them from room to room to play with them.. He will have a select few he likes to play with this week and God forbid he misplaces one.. while he's transporting all 6 matchbox cars he feels like he has to carry all 6 at the same time and when he can't figue out how to carry them or when he finally gets them all picked up and one accidently falls from his little hands he flips out beyond what i would call normal behavior... he is a very hyper active child, never looks me in the eyes when i'm trying to explain something, no patience at all.. am i overreacting? Is there a test that can be done this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• my ss acts the same way i wouldnt suspect mental illness unless there is a family history of it. he sound like a typical 2 yr old who doesnt know how to exspress his anger and disappointment in a constructive way...when my kids get up set like that i ask them what wrong and i see if i can fix for them or with them ...like for my ss who has the same habit as ur son wanting to carry his cars everywheres all at once i got him a basket and a bag that he can put his toys of choosing in so its easier for him to carry it with out being frustrated i had to do the samething for my dd with her stuffed horses...this seems to really work for my kids try it and see if it works for ur lo
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• They can test as early as 18 months. As his doctor about it. I think it sounds pretty typical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Sounds like typical 2 yr old behavior to me. My 18 month old does the same thing.
    Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Call early intervention at your local department of health, they will evaluate your DS and at the very least give you peace of mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son is the EXACT same way about his cars. He isn't hyperactive...well no more than any other two year old I've encountered.

My son gets very upset when he's frustrated. He likes to drive his cars along the back of the couch and if one falls off he screams out of frustration.
    I don't think it's a sign of mental illness, I think it's toddlers learning their different feelings and expressing them the way that feels most natural to them.

I know when I get frustrated I want to scream, but I've learned restraint. 2 year olds haven't gotten that far yet.
    I'm sure he's fine :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Its normal
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You can talk to your dr about it if it really bothers you. But from my experience, it sounds like a normal 2 year old to me. I'd suggest you stop worrying and just try to help him learn patience. This is probaly just a phase and it'll be over before you know it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• The only thing that bothered me about your question is that he doesn't look at you when you talk. That's a red flag for speech problems, which can cause a lot of frustration, which can lead to meltdowns. If he's talking like most other two year olds you know, he's probably fine, but if not, I would look into it. My DS was the same way.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• wow alot of these answers are crazy ! hes a normal two year old boy ! hes at that age where he knows whats his and its a good thing that hes organized enough to carry around 6 cars ! Dont give into the ADD and ADHD hype. Theres nothing wrong with a little tempertantrum from a two year old ! I know we've all heard of the terrible twos !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Most doctors won't diagnose before the age of 5. There is so much development and change before then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2009