Teeth brushing advise.. please

My son is 2 and we are having a hard time with the teeth brushing.. we are also in the middle of potty training, no more drinking at bedtime, sleeping in big boy bed, so the brushing of the teeth has been put on the back burner alot of nights and mornings, i mean he still brushes, but that's just it.. He does it.. he basically is still just chewing on it.. What i am asking for is some advice on getting on a better routine with it and how can i get him to open his mouth and let me brush for him and when do we buy thebig kid tooth paste, cause i don't think that my son can spit yet.. Also when do we go to the dentist for the first time?

RykersMom07

Asked by RykersMom07 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Health

• You must brush this child's teeth twice a day. Give him a stuffed animal and a toothbrush, and you can brush your babies' teeth together. If you have not started regular six month dental checkups, you need to do so now.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• do it in front of a window tilt him back , mine is the same but the light helps him stay still might be in his eyes!lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• They have really fun and education children's "movies" on teeth brushing... I would look into it
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• dentist: between the age of 2 and 3, check w/your doc and what they recommend b/c each one is diff
    how to get him to let you brush his teeth, make it a game, ok mommy's going to brush your teeth and then you have to get all the spots mommy missed. etc..
    as far as grown up toothpaste, i'm not sure what the age is but my dd is 3 1/2 and i still buy the toddler stuff for her, she "spits" after she swallows the toothpaste so i figure she can still use the kid stuff.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i took my 2 oldest boys to a ped. dentist when they were about 18mo. but that was just me. I would say around 2 or 21/2 is ok. My 4yr. old started letting me brush his teeth w/out a fuss by the time he was 3. My other son who is almost 3 still fights me so i have to do something that i really don't like to do, but have to. I hold him in my lap facing out and have him hold his head back so i can really brush for as long as i need to. It is so imp. to get the teeth well. Believe me, i do feel bad if he starts to cry, but it is better than having to get fillings or worse, teeth pulled. I am lucky with my 15mo. old who cries when i stop brushing his teeth. It must tickle because he giggles when i brush his teeth. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My son just turned 2. He loves brushing his teeth. I always make it fun. I either sing a song or I say "tickle, tickle, tickle" while I brush them. There are times when he wants to do it on his own. (Mostly during the day) He knows that I do it at bedtime. I took him to the dentist around 15 months, but children don't really need to go until about 3 years old for their 1st cleaning. His dentist told me that they go through phases. He also said I might have to brush while he's sleeping. Although I haven't had any issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We used to sing our daughter silly songs about brushing her teeth while we were doing it. She would just sit on the counter with her mouth opened as wide as she could and listen to us.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2009