The school uniform argument....What if Parents refuse?

I have heard a lot of talk about uniform policies in school districts across the country. I am against them. I have my reasons.

It's the parents' choice what their child wears, not the school's. And the school cannot bar the child from attending school or punish them for not adhering to the uniform policy. Seriously, they cannot force a parent to take their child out of district to attend school last I checked.

To those who would refuse to put their child in a school uniform (public school, NOT private), what would you do if the school tried to bar your child from attending due to wearing street clothes? Do you believe their right to an education supercedes some uniform policy? Could the school district force you to take your child out of your district to attend school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not sure what they could legally do to you, but I know at my dd's school, if your child wasn't in dress code they would call the parents and have you bring something else. Or if they couldn't get ahold of the parent, they had "extra" clothes there they would make your child put on. Luckily this year they have canceled the uniforms!!! My dd is so excited!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I will take school uniforms over school shopping for clothes in a minute. It will be much cheaper for me.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i think its ridiculous to make kids wear uniforms. they need to be able to express themselves!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• If the school tried to implement a uniform policy, I would continue to send my daughter in her street clothes. If they tried to demand that I bring her a change of clothes, I would tell them where to shove their policy. If they tried to force her to wear some back up crap they keep on hand, I would tell her she has every right to tell them NO and to stick to her guns. If they tried to give her detention or suspend her from school until she wore the uniform....I would sue the crap out of them!

randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• And last I checked, the school has NO LEGAL GROUNDS to bar your child from an education just because they refuse to wear certain clothing.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Omg be an adult. How are you teaching your children to follow the rules at school when you refuse to do so yourself? How ridiculous and selfish of you! Do you refuse to go by the dress code where you work just because you don't like it? If you got the whim to wear a tube top and biker shorts to your job would you just do it and tell your boss where to shove it? Come on people. Grow up.
    Uniforms are a great thing. Lots of children are picked on for the clothes they wear. It elimates cliques just because of clothes. It elimates children wearing gang related colors. Its a good thing. Children can focus on school and learning instead of the clothes they have on. You parents are being childish and need to respect the schools wishes. Be thankful you live in a country where there is a free public school for your child to attend and if you hate it so much then take your child out of public school and home school them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Why would you embarrass your child by making them an outsider. The other kids are going to make fun of your child for getting in trouble every day because you don't like the rule. Bleck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The issue is that uniforms will not stop the bullying or picking on, it will not save parents money and it robs the child of their freedom of expression.

Not every rule is for their own good and my daughter will be raised to question everything and resist if neccessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Not every rule is for their own good and my daughter will be raised to question everything and resist if neccessary.

I feel very sorry for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Schools that have uniform policies CAN send your child home until they return wearing the uniforms. If it's a written rule/policy it HAS to be followed. It's just like any other rule the school has (no phones, no offensive clothing, no cursing, no hugging/kissing, etc etc). Good luck trying to sue the school system for not allowing your child to wear what she wants. That's just like a person suing the school system for not being allowed to wear baggy pants or something other that is just as absurd and stupid.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2009