What do you think about (mandatory) catalog fundraisers?

My sons football team is selling cookie dough to raise money. It is mandatory. We are to sell 8 boxes for the team and 8 boxes for the district. 16 boxes total. We can opt out and by buying ourselves out. I have to find out for sure, but 16 boxes at $15 a piece totaling $240 is a lot considering we are also paying for registration fees, equipment and uniforms. (I have also heard that buyout may be $60). My husband is not allowed to sell at his work. We get fundraisers passed around all the time at my work. Everybody rolls their eyes. I have to figure out the best way to sell this stuff. I wanted opinions on what others think of fundraisers.

smiles.smooches

Asked by smiles.smooches at 11:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh the joys of school sports! Just grin and bear it girl. If you want him to be in football, go for a walk in your neighborhood with him as he goes door to door. At least make him make the effort. Moore does this too. And then all the players get together and go out in groups to find others to buy the "whatever". And as far as fundraisers go at work??? Have you bought anything from others that have brought them? If so, I would go straight to their desk and say..."Your turn" with a smile!
    RayChelB

Answer by RayChelB at 12:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Really? I would seriously so take my kids out. That is totally BS. I would not do it. Especially if you have to wind up buying them yourself. Man, I remember buying an entire box of candy bars for my kids for about 10.00. WTH? No way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• That is insane. A fundraiser is fine and dandy but forcing the kids to sell a certain amount or buy it themselves? That is a little much! Besides the cookie dough never goes well. I feel for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I hate it and it is why I pulled my son out of football, and my daughter out of cheer. Only the 'rich' parents can afford this and that sucks. I hate pulling them out but if I have to choose between rent and food or football and cheer..I have no choice. There is no help for the working poor here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I loved my sons football league. We paid 140 for the season included jersey. We had no fundraisers. I did have to organize a snack schedule as the team mom and a end of season party. We avoid any league that requires us to peddle crap or pay over 200 bucks to buy out of that. I prefer to just pay up front for the season and enjoy my kids games. We don't participate in the school fundraiser where you have to sell stuff. We register our Target Card they give money to the schools. Buy Scholastic Books and I give a check for 100 bucks to the PTA and tell them to leave me alone.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I hate fundraisers. I hate,hate,hate them. It should not be mandatory. Not fair.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• With gymnastics, there is an extra $60 and you get a couple of boxes of crappy chocolate bars that you can sell if you want to recoup your money. After the first year (they are still collecting dust on the bureau) I just left the chocolate bars at the studio...LOL

Anyway, the fund raising is a pain in the butt, BUT it does pay for the extras that are needed, and since there are so many media stories about the crazies in the world, kids can't do what we did when I was a kid, which was to go door to door or stand at the mall and sell chocolate bars...but organizations still need to pay for the little things (in hockey, it was the guy to run the score board was paid out of pocket by the team)

I DO know of a better way to do fund raising. If you are interested in hearing about it, just drop me a line. Might save you the trouble next year :)

Then it progressed to parents doing most of the selling at offices etc, and now it is
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 3:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Thank you all for your feedback. I would pull him out, but I would lose all money I already put in. Decisions Decisions.
    smiles.smooches

Answer by smiles.smooches at 7:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2009