Non-medicinal healing...

I have scoliosis and very severe pains in my back during the day. I am a SAHM and while I love being with my 8-month-old son, my back protests. My doc gave me vicodin and a muscle relaxer called Flexeril. Vicodin barely does anything except take the edge off the pain and make me sleepy. Flexeril is so strong, even when cut in half, that if I take it, it knocks me out for hours, like 10-13 hours. Does anybody have any suggestions for pain relief/relaxation during the day, like a heating pad or something? Anybody have any ideas that are not western medicine? I hate taking pills and I want to be able to take care of my son without being in pain all the time. Help!

sweetmoonem

Asked by sweetmoonem at 11:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Health

• I understand completely. :) I would think that massage, ice and heat would help. I too had to take flexeril and vicodin when my kids were young for muscle and joint pain. I found that taking a half of my flexeril at night around 8 would allow me to relax and sleep. Check with your pharmacist, but I used to cut my vicodin in half also. It is difficult to suggest other things like herbs because some of the issue has to do with the structure of your back. (Am I right in that?)
    One of the things we have done is take a long tube sock (cotton) and put rice and lavendar buds in it, tie the end securely. You can microwave that and it gives a moist heat. We all love that here. (I had to make several....) :) I hope you feel better soon.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Have you ever been to a naturopath or chiropractor? Have you tried yoga?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• susie, I found that a chiropractor didn't help much. I will be starting physical therapy with a specialist and an orthopedic surgeon, but not for a few more weeks. I have not tried yoga but I am afraid certain exercises may hurt my back
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• susie, those are really good suggestions. thank you! I really appreciate it...especially coming from somebody who has tried the same pills i am..i hate taking pills and i am always open to alternatives. thanks!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• they have scolosis yoga designed by a woman who has scolosis. i got the dvd for my husband and it has helped lossen and lengthen some of the muscles that have been tightened from years of bad posture.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 12:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I have been seeing a chiropractor for my scoliosis for about 20 years. Before I started seeing him, I was told that I would need to have surgery (with a 3 month recovery time) within 5 years. I still have not had the surgery and rarely have any pain or discomfort.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009